How much does it weigh?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
510wizard
Supporter

Re: How much does it weigh?

Post by 510wizard »

Is the flywheel on the VQ the factory dual mass one? If it is, it is very heavy, a Jim Wolf one is very light.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

icehouse wrote:more data!!!
Wicked... Thanks for posting this. KAE is lighter than expected and the VQ somewhat heavier.

I agree with the SR tranny idea for VQ/Lucky Dog. I'm wondering if the KA bell housing would match up better?
Assuming the flywheel clears (which I've read that it does with light 'alterations'), the biggest issue I see is the starter recess being several degrees too high on the 4 cylinder bell housings compared to the VQ mounting.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Thought I'd add a bit more info to the already awesome data shared here...
Exhaust_1.jpg
Exhaust_1.jpg (107.32 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
The KAe's 358lbs vs the SRDET's 372lbs was much closer than expected (only 14lbs). I was curious how much did the turbo/exhaust on the SR account for that?

KAe exhaust was missing the bottom collector which is identical to the picture of the weight taken.
Exhaust_KA.jpg
Exhaust_KA.jpg (84.42 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
SR20DET T25 setup
Exhaust_SR.jpg
Exhaust_SR.jpg (55.46 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
So net difference in exhaust setup is about 14.5lbs which means both engine assemblies w/o exhaust are approximately within a pound of each other.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I can add that my L20B truck exhaust, with turbo and waste gate weighed 19 lbs.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gooned

Post by gooned »

So net difference in exhaust setup is about 14.5lbs which means both engine assemblies w/o exhaust are approximately within a pound of each other.

So the clear answer is Turbo KA!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

gooned wrote:So net difference in exhaust setup is about 14.5lbs which means both engine assemblies w/o exhaust are approximately within a pound of each other.

So the clear answer is Turbo KA!
I feel the opposite. The clear answer is SR :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

DADZSUN wrote: So net difference in exhaust setup is about 14.5lbs which means both engine assemblies w/o exhaust are approximately within a pound of each other.
The SR I weighted is a S15 spec R so it has the dual disk clutch which maybe why the weights are so close. It's a heavy bastard!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Added NA SR and FJ20ET conclusion. L motor and SR weigh about the same and I'm surprised the FJ isn't that much heavier then the SR turbo. The FJ still had the power steering pump and some plumbing. Didn't have time to pull it and re install. The factory FJ flywheel is LIGHT!
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

icehouse wrote: 08 Aug 2018 08:32 Added NA SR and FJ20ET conclusion. L motor and SR weigh about the same and I'm surprised the FJ isn't that much heavier then the SR turbo. The FJ still had the power steering pump and some plumbing. Didn't have time to pull it and re install. The factory FJ flywheel is LIGHT!
When I built my FJ20 I didn't realize that the flywheels on the turbos and NA's were different (size and weight). I ended up with a 240mm turbo flywheel which is definitely not light!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

defdes wrote: 09 Aug 2018 18:59
icehouse wrote: 08 Aug 2018 08:32 Added NA SR and FJ20ET conclusion. L motor and SR weigh about the same and I'm surprised the FJ isn't that much heavier then the SR turbo. The FJ still had the power steering pump and some plumbing. Didn't have time to pull it and re install. The factory FJ flywheel is LIGHT!
When I built my FJ20 I didn't realize that the flywheels on the turbos and NA's were different (size and weight). I ended up with a 240mm turbo flywheel which is definitely not light!

Really, my motor is a turbo motor and the flywheel is crazy light for stock. Not sure if it's original though. I'm super excited to put it in.