240MM clutch experience

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Post Reply
deano510
Posts: 179
Joined: 16 Dec 2013 18:42
Location: NorCal

240MM clutch experience

Post by deano510 » 17 May 2018 18:11

The KA24 engine and trans I'm removing has a 225mm Fidanza flywheel and clutch. I'm installing a newly rebuilt KA24 Rebello engine and trans and would like to use a 240MM Fidanza flywheel I have.

I've been looking for a clutch kit to fit this 240MM FW but without much luck. I have all 3 sizes of the TO collars to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dean
gzentas510@outlook.com

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 12022
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by Byron510 » 17 May 2018 19:09

The 240mm clutches were used on the 720 4x4 and the 280ZX Turbo I believe.

A quick search notes Centerforce listing a couple different "Stage" clutches - whatever a stage means. They never list clamping force which is a way better rating indicator that a "stage" 1,2,999 ect. so it might take a phone call to get soe real information.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

User avatar
zKars
Supporter
Posts: 452
Joined: 15 Aug 2013 14:19
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by zKars » 18 May 2018 07:07

The 74-78 280z 2+2 and the 82-83 ZX turbo's used a 240mm clutch. The zx turbo's also had a borg warner 5 speed, but I'm pretty sure the clutches were not different from the earlier 2+2 clutches. A quick Rockauto part number comparison will check that

User avatar
zKars
Supporter
Posts: 452
Joined: 15 Aug 2013 14:19
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by zKars » 18 May 2018 07:10

The 74-78 280z 2+2 and the 82-83 ZX turbo's used a 240mm clutch. The zx turbo's also had a borg warner 5 speed, but I'm pretty sure the clutches were not different from the earlier 2+2 clutches. A quick Rockauto part number comparison will check that. Now compatibility with the KA flywheel is another matter.

FYI, The Fidanza flywheel speced for the Z cars is drilled to accept both the 6 bolt 225mm and the 9 bolt 240mm clutch plates.

User avatar
JordanTr
Posts: 808
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 22:27
Location: Langley, BC, Canada

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by JordanTr » 18 May 2018 09:43

Get a flywheel (possibly lightened) for an rb25 and use a z33 stock clutch.
Jordan | '72 2 door KA project | '94 240sx RB26DETT | '97 Silvia RB25DET | '90 Audi 90 Quattro 20V (DD)

User avatar
JordanTr
Posts: 808
Joined: 20 Feb 2013 22:27
Location: Langley, BC, Canada

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by JordanTr » 18 May 2018 09:45

Ok. I didn’t read that very carefully. A 350z uses a 240mm clutch. Perhaps that will work for you?
Jordan | '72 2 door KA project | '94 240sx RB26DETT | '97 Silvia RB25DET | '90 Audi 90 Quattro 20V (DD)

User avatar
icehouse
Posts: 3250
Joined: 17 Jul 2005 17:06
Location: Everett Wa

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by icehouse » 18 May 2018 13:17

SR20DET uses a 240mm clutch as well.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam

datzenmike
Supporter
Posts: 5346
Joined: 24 May 2006 12:40
Location: Van. Isle.

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by datzenmike » 18 May 2018 23:11

JordanTr wrote:
18 May 2018 09:45
Ok. I didn’t read that very carefully. A 350z uses a 240mm clutch. Perhaps that will work for you?

I think they are 250mm but 750 and 880 Kg clamp.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1163
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by Three B's Racing » 21 May 2018 04:38

zKars wrote:
18 May 2018 07:10
The 74-78 280z 2+2 and the 82-83 ZX turbo's used a 240mm clutch. The zx turbo's also had a borg warner 5 speed, but I'm pretty sure the clutches were not different from the earlier 2+2 clutches. A quick Rockauto part number comparison will check that. Now compatibility with the KA flywheel is another matter.

FYI, The Fidanza flywheel speced for the Z cars is drilled to accept both the 6 bolt 225mm and the 9 bolt 240mm clutch plates.
So the removable clutch disk plate is 240mm and wide enough for a smaller disk and is drilled and pinned and tapped for both the 225 and 240mm clutches? I've never seen that before unless maybe someone did some mods.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

User avatar
zKars
Supporter
Posts: 452
Joined: 15 Aug 2013 14:19
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by zKars » 21 May 2018 08:18

Three B's Racing wrote:
21 May 2018 04:38
zKars wrote:
18 May 2018 07:10
The 74-78 280z 2+2 and the 82-83 ZX turbo's used a 240mm clutch. The zx turbo's also had a borg warner 5 speed, but I'm pretty sure the clutches were not different from the earlier 2+2 clutches. A quick Rockauto part number comparison will check that. Now compatibility with the KA flywheel is another matter.

FYI, The Fidanza flywheel speced for the Z cars is drilled to accept both the 6 bolt 225mm and the 9 bolt 240mm clutch plates.
So the removable clutch disk plate is 240mm and wide enough for a smaller disk and is drilled and pinned and tapped for both the 225 and 240mm clutches? I've never seen that before unless maybe someone did some mods.
Came new in a box. Factory drilled for both. 143281
Perhaps the confusion is I'm talking flywheel, not clutch plate.
0133014F-446E-4A37-AA96-C2AF6EA0635F-918-000000BF0C22C11B.jpeg
0133014F-446E-4A37-AA96-C2AF6EA0635F-918-000000BF0C22C11B.jpeg (478.12 KiB) Viewed 311 times

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1163
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: 240MM clutch experience

Post by Three B's Racing » 23 May 2018 05:11

That's awesome as I've never seen a Fidanza structured like that Nice!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

Post Reply