5 speed hole cutting!

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
Beev
Supporter

5 speed hole cutting!

Post by Beev »

Hey!

I am sure this is covered somewhere but I for the life of me can't find it. I have a 510 automatic (transmission soon to be posted in the classifieds) and am going to convert it to a 280 5 speed transmission. Does anyone have the measurements for location and pattern for the hole in the tunnel I need to cut? The best information I can find says don't cut the brake lines. Seems like sage advice but brakes only slow you down so I am hesitant to believe.

Thanks for the hours saved if someone has these details!
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: 5 speed hole cutting!

Post by Three B's Racing »

Beev wrote: 21 May 2018 22:22 Hey!

I am sure this is covered somewhere but I for the life of me can't find it. I have a 510 automatic (transmission soon to be posted in the classifieds) and am going to convert it to a 280 5 speed transmission. Does anyone have the measurements for location and pattern for the hole in the tunnel I need to cut? The best information I can find says don't cut the brake lines. Seems like sage advice but brakes only slow you down so I am hesitant to believe.

Thanks for the hours saved if someone has these details!
Well believe it because the rear brakes line runs at the top of the trans tunnel. Anyway, this should get you close.

http://www.datsport.com/Transmission_cu ... rsion.html
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

From what I recall, the SR cut away will be over kill for what the ZX needs. I went from the ZX to the KA box (same as SR) and had to do more to make it fit. Try over on Ratsun if you have searched here thoroughly.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The SR will surely be a 71C car transmission and they are 3-4 inches longer than the 71B.

Here's what I had in my 710.... It's an F4W63L same length and shifter as the 510. I installed a 71B from a '79 280zx and the shifter fit the hole or better said I did not have to cut anything.

Now seeing as how this is an automatic that does not have a shifter but really just a remote lever assembly... I don't know if it is in the same position on the tunnel as the standard transmission or not. If you can find out that the location of the standard and automatic holes are the same, the 71B should fit without modification.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Beev
Supporter

Post by Beev »

Sadly the auto is on the tree so I just need someone with the conversion to send me some dimension and a picture
Three B's Racing
Supporter

defdes wrote: 22 May 2018 08:54 From what I recall, the SR cut away will be over kill for what the ZX needs. I went from the ZX to the KA box (same as SR) and had to do more to make it fit. Try over on Ratsun if you have searched here thoroughly.
What I sent wasn't intended to be cut for an SR trans because he's not using an SR trans. It was a reference for the shifter hole location. You can clearly see where the original hole is.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Three B's Racing
Supporter

What I would do is install the manual trans then with a long rod and hammer dimple the location of the shifter from underneath.
- John Lennon
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I just went from 5 speed to auto. The picture shows the large hole that includes the original 4 speed placement as well. So don't go that far forward. It looks like just making the auto hole a little wider would work. And about an inch forward. It looks to me like the middle hole parallel to the seat rail is a screw hole for the tranny's boot holder.
Attachments
IMG_20180405_112336488-816x612.jpg
IMG_20180405_112336488-816x612.jpg (86.8 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

x2
Three B's Racing wrote: 24 May 2018 05:16 What I would do is install the manual trans then with a long rod and hammer dimple the location of the shifter from underneath.
then use a hole saw that will work with the boot of choice
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Three B's Racing wrote: 24 May 2018 05:13

What I sent wasn't intended to be cut for an SR trans because he's not using an SR trans. It was a reference for the shifter hole location. You can clearly see where the original hole is.
I understood the the OP's post, but what you linked WAS for an SR trans, I was just attempting to say (maybe not clearly enough) was that the SR hole will be too big for a 280 box.
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

Mine was a '72 floor shift model, but this will give you an idea. End of tape is where the top of the shifter ears (pin axis) would be for my 280ZX 5 speed, which I believe is dimensionally the same as 280Z. 2nd pic is the initial hole I cut, and 3rd pic show how we extended it forward a bit and trimmed some of the top rib on the trans.

The two holes in line with the seat mount bulkheads are 1.5" apart, so maybe you can use that to scale distances in the direct overhead shots.