Trans slips 5th gear

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
deano510

Trans slips 5th gear

Post by deano510 »

I have a KA24e 5 speed tranny that siips out of 5th gear going down hills or just idling along on the flat. Any ideas on a fix?

Dean
RMS
Supporter

Re: Trans slips 5th gear

Post by RMS »

that sucks sounds like your in need of some new thrust washers at the least.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have the same issue in my Xterra in 3rd gear. My transmission guy told me years ago it has to do with the axial placement of the counter shaft holding the gears, and as Robyn noted above, it can be shimmed to correct the issue. But it does require complete disassembly as the shim would be placed on the shaft at the front bearing in most cases.

Trust that helps.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

hardest part of the job will be finding the parts
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The shims are select fit at the factory to allow for production inaccuracies. It corrects the front cover plate for proper pre-load on the counter bearing. Either way you would only need to remove the 5 cover plate bolts and the cover plate to get at it to make two measurements and then check the chart for the proper shim. I don't think this would be the cause of 5th or any gear jumping out.

I would suspect a worn/damaged 5th synchronizer hub or maybe the 5th/Rev shift fork.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
deano510

Post by deano510 »

Where would I find the measurements and chart for the shims? I have the trans from the stock engine that I replaced with this newly rebuilt (Rebello) engine. It has what I'm pretty sure is worn synchros, which may be more straight forward to fix than the slipping 5th gear issue.

Dean
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Any FSM from Nissan with your transmission in it will have the chart. Once the cover plate is removed you'll see that there is a shim around the outside of the counter bearing. (it's the bottom or smaller of the two bearings) The measurement is how far the bearing sits proud of the case that supports it.

I'm not expecting that this will need changing.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs