CLSD Identification

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
JordanTr

Re: CLSD Identification

Post by JordanTr »

Cool project. Jealous of your granite block!!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

2DoorJim wrote: 24 Aug 2020 21:52 Byron I believe I have an identical diff to yours, casting looks the same. I presumed mine was a Datsun competition unit but the fellow who sold it to me said it was from an early 70s skyline. Mine has four spiders like yours which I thought was the competition unit where the production 180s were two spiders (I was told), but this goes back six years and four car brands and I've put most of this out of my mind. My diff is used, but supposedly had the clutch pack replaced by the second prior owner to me (who I distantly know) then it was shelved as a spare for his race car. It's breakaway was right around 45 lbft when I measured it.

Best.
I'm no LSD expert, but this Precision Gear unit is quite a bit different from the Skyline R190 unit I had previously. Look for the 5 digit casting number on the top - that's the giveaway. I was informed these were Japanese made, and that the production/and shop was wiped out during the Sendai Tsunami. When production again started a year later, the R180 units wasn't on the block anymore. That's second-hand info, but also why stock ran out. I bought one of the last ones from CAl-Mini back in 2006/7 along with a few other locals who snatched them up.

I would very much question the comment from the previous owner that he found new clutch packs - I'm sure that was a line because spare parts fro these things are nearly impossible to find. I have never seen a clutch pack listed. If someone can correct me, please do let me know.

So this one is neither Skyline more Datsun Comp. But if you have one - that's awesome. And 45 lbs is perfect for a 510 unless you're running race rubber and have some serious HP - north of 250. But even then I doubt there is the weight to make it work much above 75 lbs. My 325is had a 38 lb breakaway and weeoghed a lot more than the Bronze, and it was sideways no problem on demand.

And it's definitely a full 2 way, steep ramp, old school LSD design.
I just have to soften this one up!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

JordanTr wrote: 25 Aug 2020 07:38 Cool project. Jealous of your granite block!!
You know where it is :wink:

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Byron you jogged my memory and set me straight! The fellow who I bought my diff from in 2013 originally gave me an R190 and quoted the source being old skylines or Datsun Comp, I completely forgot this reference was to that specific diff.

Due to it's odd size (190) I couldn't regear it so I took it back to him and swapped for an R180, which appears to be the same brand as yours. I never would have known who the manufacturer was...

Jim
79539260-2E0F-4C52-ABE3-91451C74E7B3.jpeg
79539260-2E0F-4C52-ABE3-91451C74E7B3.jpeg (407.2 KiB) Viewed 331 times