Will a G35x transfer case fit on a Frontier 4x4 box?

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
icehouse

Will a G35x transfer case fit on a Frontier 4x4 box?

Post by icehouse »

After driving the Pulsar for a couple months I'm in love with AWD.  You can literally punch it in the rain and it just goes.  Even with old tires and a lot of power for a light car.  So of coarse I dream of making an AWD 510.   I don't like the transverse engine so I've been dreaming of a system similar to the old skylines.  Which the easiest route would be to source a transmission from one of them.  Turns out like everything from that era prices are going crazy!   it's 1500 bucks for an AWD transmission.. Being into Nissan cars and trucks I wondered if the CD009 from a 2005+ Frontier would mate to a G35/37x AWD transfer case.  I figured an adapter plate would be required but that's actually pretty easy to 3D scan and make.  Of coarse since Facebook ruined the internet car scene, you can't find any post 2013 information at all!  I tried signing up to the G35 facebook group.... The only comment was "Buy a subaru if you want a 6 speed manual in an AWD car."  Which I would never do!!!   So this is where i'm stuck. Will the output splines from the Frontier box fit the G35 transfer case input shaft.  Nissan usually keeps things the same...  Yes... Yes... I could have some custom adapter made but I feel it would just be the weak link.  The input shaft on the two transfer cases is the same ID (I looked up the seals on rockauto) and although the two input shafts have a different lead in chamfer they do look very similar.  My next step is to go to a wrecking yard and try and fit them together.  They sell the transfer cases for 75 bucks and the 4x4 CD009 for 350.  So way cheaper and stronger then the old Skyline stuff, to be honest I'm not sure if the transfer case is stronger but my guess is it's probably the same one just adapted.  It's the same tech for sure since it can go from full lock to unlocked.  

Truck transfer case, notice the front drive shaft is on the left side

G35x transfer case front driveshaft is on the right side

Frontier box

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Re: Will a G35x transfer case fit on a Frontier 4x4 box?

Post by Byron510 »

I like where you are going with this.
When DADZSUN posted photos of that R160 tucked up under that VQ, I was tuned in;

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32574&hilit=635

But you're right - that automatic takes the fun away...but seeing that diff tucked up there was cool.
But I'd say it's still pretty wide.
You remember when Jordan cut the front diff out of the Skyline oil pan...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26835&hilit=Jordan+240sx&start=15

Cringe....!

Anyways - both projects brought together a pretty good idea
But of course, what I want is this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuuDUeIh9os

Because of its conventional north/south engine layout, in an AWD platform...

Now how to get there with a 510!

I'm tuned in Jeff :-)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I followed DADZSUN's 620 build, super cool. I personally will not try and run any crazy modern suspension if I end up doing it. I don't want to tube the car, or move the engine into the cabin. If there is one thing I've learned from all the autoxing I've done is that it doesn't take some crazy build to be fast. All the car's with tube frames or off the chart builds got their ass handed to them by a 121WHP 510 with some cheap ass mods and a handsome driver :). haha. It's all about keeping things achievable and realistic. right now I've just had extra computer time so I've been doing some reading.

I do remember Jordan's build. Bach when those trannys were obtainable. The CD009 if it works will be cool though, good for over 1k power which means it should handle a lot of clutch kicks :) An AWD doughnut is for sure the goal!!!

That's a cool ralley car!!!!! Sounds so good.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Have you checked the parts crossover of the interfacing parts on nissanpartsdeal? Seals,gaskets, even fasteners at the interface could give you an idea if it’s a go
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

JordanTr wrote: 15 Nov 2020 07:15 Have you checked the parts crossover of the interfacing parts on nissanpartsdeal? Seals,gaskets, even fasteners at the interface could give you an idea if it’s a go
So far from doing similar things I know that the input shaft on the transfer case shares the same ID. I also found that the CD009 and the automatic they put behind the VQ share the same slip yoke. That tells me there is a good chance the splines are the same. Of coarse the closest junk yard that has all the parts is 1.5 hour drive. I'm hoping to get a chance to go down and check things out. Maybe fill my truck with trannys.. That should get you excited :).
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The splines fit!!!! Wow I was really surprised they did.  Only because I feel like someone would have posted that online somewhere.  The adapter is for sure going to be tricky but how fun would it be if it was easy.  Time to do some scanning!!  I didn't take a picture of the G35x transfer case in the 4x4 CD009 but I will soon.  It fit both RWD and 4WD trans splines.  Not full engagement in the RWD trans though.  

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Does the G35 transfer case incorporate some type of differential? It must have one, it just hasn’t been mentioned yet :-)
Thanks for the update, Jeff.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Byron510 wrote: 29 Nov 2020 06:45 Does the G35 transfer case incorporate some type of differential? It must have one, it just hasn’t been mentioned yet :-)
Thanks for the update, Jeff.
In fact it does. This was a long long road of research since I'm not into anything modern that Nissan builds or SUV's. Did you know they have used the same style AWD system since the R31 in 1989 till now. All the longitudinal engine cars that come AWD have a similar transfer case and drive system. Some with big towing capacities so it will handle any power I can put throw it as long as I can get full engagement and make a nice strong adapter. You can even buy aftermarket controllers for the center clutch. It's fluid-driven, it will adjust from RWD to AWD 50% to the front and 50% rear aka locked. Kinda funny how I HATE SUV's but all the drivetrain will be out of them haha Engine is JDM X-trail SUV, trans is xterra, the transfer case is out of a G35x but was in the FX35 to haha.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The next step is connecting the transfer case to the CD009.  I wanted to do a simple adapter but of coarse the easy way rarely works out.  So my new plan is to remake the front plate with the correct pattern to bolt it to the trans.  This is the only way to keep the proper spline engagement.  I want to be able to do clutch dumps without worry about the connection failing.  I pulled the transfer case apart to have a look see, fun to see inside it.  The front plate only has a few key features.  My goal was to scan the part and draw it this week so this weekend I could maybe attempt at machining it.  Or at least print it for a test fit.  Instead it will have to wait.  The screen on my laptop broke, it's getting repaired now but won't be back till next week.   Here are a few pics.  

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Eh Jeff, I’m trying to figure out what I’m looking at. The input on the left must drive through the Center of the front diff chain gear, into the clutch mechanism that in return drives that forward gear at some percentage relative to the output out the back of the clutch mechanism - correct? And your saying it can be up to 50/50, but otherwise rear biased?

You know, the Amanda’s that I have in the driveway put out 380 ft-lbs at some ridiculously low RPM BEFORE a hairdryer gets installed...just sayin’

Byron
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

It's upside down in the photo. The left splined shaft is the straight through, so the rear wheels will always get power. The right side is the front output shaft. which can be disengaged.

I don't really have any interest in doing even a V6 in a Datsun. SR's are my jam. Small, light, lots of aftermarket support. They just look right in a 510.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Byron510 wrote: 03 Dec 2020 22:52 You know, the Amanda’s that I have in the driveway put out 380 ft-lbs at some ridiculously low RPM BEFORE a hairdryer gets installed...just sayin’

Byron
I'm more into HP. Torque is for towing, I want to go fast!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Byron510 wrote: 03 Dec 2020 22:52 You know, the Amanda’s that I have in the driveway put out 380 ft-lbs at some ridiculously low RPM BEFORE a hairdryer gets installed...just sayin’
Byron
"So what are you saying, Todd?" - Todd "Too Short" Shaw

Are you going to install a hairdryer onto it? If you have plans to do so, let me know ASAP, I have a brand new T61 turbo I need to sell that would work wonders on that engine.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I have visions of not one, but two hairdryers... Ken Block style...completely blocking your actual view of the road...
But the transfer case is a truck unit - no diff, fully locked.
Hence the question regarding the clutch assembly on this unit.

Byron
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

The G35/37 transfer case can be fully locked. That's what so cool about it. From open to lock, The GTR guys put a switch inline with the fuse so they can have fun in RWD then switch back to AWD. I hope to do the same thing.

So I've made some progress. Here are some pics.

Getting a good scan inside holes to find the centers is the toughest part. So I tried using tight fitting drill bits. Maybe since I can take reference points from anywhere to use in any plan I choose it will work better. Still trying to get better at all the software. It's really tricky to use. Makes SolidWorks seem so easy.

Point cloud

Info from the point cloud used to sketch in the plane I made.

The two patterns I need to line up. looks easy enough.

Almost done modeling the part, needs a little cleanup.

New part printed out 1:1 for a test fit. Seems good.

Once the transfer case is on the trans I have to hook that to the SR. So me and Sam made an adapter.

Next, I need to get a chunk of aluminum and get to machining. It's a really big piece and I've never machined anything of this size on my mill. I'm trying to imagine how to do it in stages just in case my mill freezes or I have to call it for the day. Wish me luck guys!