1968 B and W tranny parts.

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
MikeY

1968 B and W tranny parts.

Post by MikeY »

So the next project is a 1968 510. Its going to be a family car and they asked if it could be made into an automatic. Of course it can. I have alot of the parts but might need some help. Definitely need a torque converter. And a flex plate and spacer would help. I will have to figure out the park/ neutral safety switch. At this point I'm missing the rod from the fire wall to carb with the 1/4 circle kickdown cable part attached. I hope I have all the selector linkage. I have never taken one out and was given a tranny and a small tote of parts a few years ago. But now is the time to gather parts before I commit to this plan of action.
As well it is so much easier to take and post pictures on my Facebook page. I've started a build group. Anyone on Facebook that want to join in on a tear down and complete rotisserie restoration, look for me there and I can add you to the page.
Thanks
MikeY

Re: 1968 B and W tranny parts.

Post by MikeY »

It has occurred to me that if I find a torque converter for the b and w auto I will need to bolt it to a flex plate from a later jatco tranny as this is getting bolted to an l20b. In a pinch I would uses a complete later floor shift auto box. I'd prefer the column shift to keep it period correct. But a floor shift with vacuum kickdown would be simpler. Any advice appreciated.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I have at least two L20B 3N71B automatics but they were all long at 31.5" Only the 510 and the 1200 3N71B were short at 26". One from a truck one from a car. I'm sure I have several 6 bolt drive plates and torque converters laying around, I just have to cut the lawn...

The later L20B 6 bolt flex plate and torque converter should fit the earlier short 26" 510 3N71B. It will probably fit the earlier torque converter also but I have the L20B just in case. I've always wondered if they would. I see no reason why Nissan would change the 4 bolt mounting pattern. Want to try it???

Pilot for the converter...

The right side are the correct L20B flex plate and torque converter. The left side is a locking torque converter from an L4N71B 4 speed automatic.

Going back over this I see that the 6 bolt flex plate has to mount to the old B/W 35 automatic. I believe there were 3 different models of B/W automatic used on the 510 not even counting the 3N71B. I have no idea if the later 510 3N71B 5 bolt flex plate will fit the older B/W at all. The starter ring has to be in the same position. The 3N71B was an in house brand made for Nissan (and toyota, mazda, others) by the Japan Automatic Transmission Company. The Japanese excelled and taking something and copying it. Maybe they copied the flex plate dimensions.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Thanks Mike. Were just about to head off to Calgary for a week..when I get back I will be in touch. I'd love to grab any tourqe converters you have and try and mock something up. I really want to keep this stock looking. I have a 6 bolt flex plate and spacers here. If the converters engage and are the right width bolting it to a flex plate must be possible.
Thanks
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I really doubt a 3N71B converter will work on a B/W 35. Like mating a boxer engine to a Supra transmission. Some of the B/W converters had fins on them for cooling and no cooling lines to the rad. Once it cools the hell down I'll go dig one up.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs