TURBO Q & A FORUM

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
heirfaus

Re: TURBO Q & A FORUM

Post by heirfaus »

bertvorgon wrote:Actually, I would use 6" sewer pipe....that way it will take a week to build boost...and you will not scare yourself.....

I have always felt, that keeping the piping about the same size, just keeps the volume to be pressurized as minimal as possible. I use the 2" out of my turbo to the intercooler, then 3" into my air box( which is a stupidly short run anyhow). Not like we all have some sort of high boost, full race motor, that really only needs to see the Mulsanne straight at 150+ MPH.

What is the discharge size coming out of the intercooler?
Thanks for the thoughts. I see the newer cars with their "bolt on kits" and their huge piping and it hadn't dawned on me until now that that wouldn't be optimal. The intercooler has 2.25 inch connections, provided that I can make that thing fit up front. What's the thickest intercoolers that fit?
"An intercooler...has never been, nor should ever be, considered icing on the cake. A proper intercooler is more cake."
Corky Bell, Maximum Boost

"one of the little things that add up"
-defdes
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Would a screw-top/Japanese L-series fuel pump be enough to supply a stock L20B with T25, 7psi max, and two SU float bowls? I'd like very much to ditch the loud electric fuel pump.

I've tried isolating it as much as possible in its current location, it's just loud.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

Julian, Where do you find one of those pumps?
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RockAuto shows them:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2879622

Beck/Arnley, but they show as "NEW" and are likely reboxed Japanese stuff. $20 is pretty cheap, too.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gooned

Post by gooned »

jeez I'm sitting here twitching reading this all again, can't wait to get on with life and back to the project(s)....cheers
hotrodbob510

Post by hotrodbob510 »

I have been running a L18 with a weber dgv, just got my hands on a pair of mikuni sidedrafts and am starting to get the parts together to turbo it. Is anyone running sidedrafts with turbos? Which is better and why?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What does "better" mean?
hotrodbob510

Post by hotrodbob510 »

better : of a more excellent or effective type or quality maybe that will help you

I guess what I should have asked is which is more preferred, which has the most potential for problems, or does it really not matter at all sidedraft or downdraft? Is is just a preference thing?
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

anyone install a rear mount turbo? if so, got pictures? a friend of mine is pushing the idea...
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

hotrodbob510 wrote: I guess what I should have asked is which is more preferred, which has the most potential for problems, or does it really not matter at all sidedraft or downdraft? Is is just a preference thing?
The sample size is probably too small these days to generate sufficient discussion. If you can fab your own manifolds it may come down to which will deal better with your choosen style of system, draw-through or blow-through. For blow-through, see Keith's lengthy postings. For draw-through, I probably have the most recent attempt.

For any real debate, we'd have to know your pressure goals, turbo choice, ignition control, power goals, budget, etc. You can copy a down-and-dirty version of Jason Grey's old L16T and just substitute the DGV for the SU. Or you can go whole-hog trying to replicate Keith's 20 years of effort.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

finn wrote:anyone install a rear mount turbo? if so, got pictures? a friend of mine is pushing the idea...
No one has done a rear-mount turbo in a 510 that I've ever heard of.

Why would you? All the room in the world to get 'er done in a 510's engine compartment. Plenty of KA-Ts to see and copy. Rear-mount in this case is just adding complication because you can. Typically rear-mounts are done on cars with full engine compartments, else why would you put the turbo as far away from the engine as possible?
hotrodbob510

Post by hotrodbob510 »

Thanks, for what I have been reading Im thinking of blow-through design. Fabricating manifolds is not an issue for me I was planning on that all along. Actually was thinking of making a new intake manifold to the carbs closer to the hood to keep them from all the heat of the turbo, not much but enough to make a little room between them. i don't know the exact size of the turbo yet but I am hoping to get into the 250 to 300 hp range. I already have electronic ignition but am looking into getting a msd 6 btm I read about in an earlier post. Mainly the car is just a weekend driver with the ocassional autocross event, so I am hoping to do that on pump gas. I am just trying to learn what I can so I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here.

What made you choose to go draw-through?
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

Cool air w/o a need for intercooler. Keeping the brake booster and if I did keep it, not have it subject to extreme heat. There's a few reasons but I really just wanted to see if it was done. The fact you, Julian, haven't makes it so much sweeter... This is something far down the road though, don't sweat it
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

finn wrote:Cool air w/o a need for intercooler.
The reasons this might be kind of ruin the whole experience. Then there's the lag, driveability, and packaging issues you'll gain in the bargain. If you wanted cooler air without an intercooler, just go with water injection and a normal setup.
finn wrote:Keeping the brake booster and if I did keep it, not have it subject to extreme heat.
A little bit of shielding work and it's a non-issue. Too many people have done it the old fashioned way to create a credible case for rear mounting in a 510.

Now, if you want to do it because no one has done it, I can understand. I'm also sure you weren't looking for a blessing to do it, but generally The Realm tries to steer members clear from boondoggles. :mrgreen:
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

hotrodbob510 wrote:I am hoping to get into the 250 to 300 hp range. ...getting a msd 6 btm...I am hoping to do that on pump gas.
I'm pretty sure those goals using an L18 as a base are not going to be readily achievable. I know modern engines are doing great things with boost currently (see BMW's 4-cylinder boosted engine putting out high 200s), but a blow-through L18 on pump gas with primitive ignition control is what it is, 40-year-old tech.

For your HP goal and design method, you'll definitely want to read up on burtvorgon's creation. But it also took him years and dollars to get where he is. You can learn some lessons from his experience, but I'm not sure it will act as a roadmap to duplication.
hotrodbob510 wrote:What made you choose to go draw-through?
Low HP goals, ease of design and construction since this was my first turbo effort, choice of carb, and general basic nature of the beast. I also knew the principles were sound since this basic design was used in the 240Z aftermarket turbo kits of the day. As a first-time-turbo project, I wanted success. If I wanted mad power, I'd have just turbocharged the SR that was already in it. :lol: