TURBO Q & A FORUM

Engine, Transmission and related drivetrain.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN » 21 Oct 2003 19:46

Stop making us all JEALOUS!!
Spencer

supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan » 21 Oct 2003 20:32

I can't wait until I'm that old and I have that much knowledge about "gee-whiz gadgetrty".

5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN » 21 Oct 2003 22:36

supersportsedan wrote:I can't wait until I'm that old and I have that much knowledge about "gee-whiz gadgetrty".
Haha me too. But instead of old I would have used "experienced" or "seasoned"...hehe. ;-)
Spencer

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 21 Oct 2003 22:39

Ouch, was that a cheap shot about my age? Actually, i started on the "gee-whiz" gadgetry when I got started with 510's, thats what is neat about all of us. We can never leave well enough alone. Something can ALWAYS be made better, faster. I have just had more TIME to play with all the gadgets. If I can help with somebody elses gadget and get them up to speed faster. I always will. I had help when i was starting out. Having somebody weed through all the bullshit sometimes makes the TRIP a lot more pleasurable.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

gooned

Post by gooned » 21 Oct 2003 22:49

bertvorgon wrote:Ouch, was that a cheap shot about my age? I had help when i was starting out. Having somebody weed through all the bullshit sometimes makes the TRIP a lot more pleasurable.
2 part anwser: yup :wink: and i also had A TON of help along the way from many sources: keith, rob, noel, andy and of course gary ( who used to run a turbo lotus cortina with my uncle - before turbo's were popular )
also i'll second keith -just build/run a turbo motor and you'll never give it up :!:
cheers jk

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 21 Oct 2003 22:52

THANKS SPENCER!!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN » 21 Oct 2003 23:29

:roll: what did i do...hehehe
Spencer

///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh » 22 Oct 2003 01:54

ARG!! so ya.. I thought my car was runnig rather slow.. so I started tweakign the carb and what not out in Maple Ridge.. hop in hit the gas and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH spools up and won;t coem down

shut er off look in the carb..theres a screw holding my throttle open... try get it out with a magnet.. it falls into the intake.. GREAT now its 12 and here I am askign random ppl "do you have a 12 mil?" I only had soem 4 10 mils for soemreason. finaly a friend of brent actualy coems by and he goes hoem and grabs a 12! 12:30ish I fush this stupid scxrew outa my intake and on my way home.. content at the speed it goes.

510rob

Post by 510rob » 22 Oct 2003 07:39

ok, this is one of the best stories I've ever heard, and the best part is... IT IS A TRUE STORY.

so the unnamed hero (to protect the guilty - not me either, but I know who ended up buying the turbo) finished putting the turbo car together...

Our man starts up his fresh 510 to let it warm up, because its snowy outside where the car is. He pulls the choke on like always before, and starts the motor; the motor idles high, but nothing too high... Luckily the key is loose in the ignition, and can come out of the barrel, because he needs to quiclky grab something from the trunk... jumps out with the key, walks to the back of the car, and puts the key in the trunk lock. This happend simultaneous to the motor starting to idle quite high, almost a bit too much RPM for just idling, and something that might need a small adjustment (turbo has just been installed, and has not been de-bugged yet), so he runs back to the driver's seat and gives the throttle a small stab to drop the idle, but the throttle sticks in the kicked position, and the motor starts to do MEGA RPM!!! Uh oh, the key's still in the trunk!!! Jumps out, runs to the back of the car to grab the key, slips on the ground (not clear whether it was snow or ice), hits his head on the car as he uncontrollably falls to the ground... and BREAKS THE KEY OFF IN THE TRUNK LOCK WITH THE MOTOR REVVED UP TO VALVE FLOAT. oops. Anyway, motor cooks itself, and the story, and turbo enthusiasm both fizzle out pretty quickly... over time, the turbo is sold, and the story becomes a bit of a legend...and a funny mishap!!!

Have a good day!

supersportsedan
Supporter

Post by supersportsedan » 22 Oct 2003 07:48

bertvorgon wrote:Ouch, was that a cheap shot about my age?
Hey, no cheap shots here, Keith.... All due respect; you're a legend. With no affiliation to Acura Legends. :wink:

5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN » 22 Oct 2003 22:12

How do wastegates work? Are they all adjustable?

How about "with turbos you have to leave your car idleing for 5 minutes so your turbo can cool down"? I've heard that remark lots...Is that true in all cases or ...?

This is going to make a great tech article :-) Thanks guys!
Spencer

Mike

Post by Mike » 22 Oct 2003 22:41

Hey Spencer.

While reading up on Turbo's (you know for my Minivan) I came across information about letting the engine idle for a few minutes after spirited driving. This seems to let more oil circulate through and help with cooling. If it is shut off right away it cokes (clogs) up the oil lines which in time contributes to poor flow to the turbo.

My .25 worth.

Mike

Mike

Post by Mike » 22 Oct 2003 22:48

Here is a bit more information on one of your questions Spencer

The turbine wheel shaft rotates in a housing located between the compressor and turbine sides which contains the turbo's vital bearing system which, along with the engine's oil supply, lubricates and cools the rapidly rotating wheel and shaft assembly. There are several different types of bearing systems used by turbo manufacturers today, but most are free-floating journal bearings which rotate approximately one-third the speed of the shaft on a thin film of oil.

Approximately 40% of all turbocharger failures are oil-related. Contaminated or dirty oil leads to bearing scratching and scoring which cause excessive bearing wear and premature bearing failure. Another oil-related turbocharger failure is lack of lubrication. As mentioned earlier, the turbo runs at very high speeds. Without full oil pressure to the turbocharger bearings, even a momentary loss of oil pressure can quickly cause overheating and destroy the bearing system.

Hot engine shutdown also can lead to turbocharger oil leakage by causing the oil to coke up inside the oil drain and forcing the oil out the turbine and compressor seals. A clogged or collapsed oil outlet hose also can cause oil to leak.

Warm up the engine for two to five minutes prior to throttling up the engine. This procedure assures proper oil pressure to the turbocharger prior to operation under load conditions. Let the engine idle for approximately two minutes prior to engine shut down. This cool-down period prevents oil coking and oil varnishing on the turbine wheel and shaft. Varnishing is a build up of oil on the shaft which increases clearances and decreases the flow of oil to cool and lubricate the shaft.

Enjoy your minivan (err..I mean your 510)

Mike

Post by Mike » 22 Oct 2003 23:15

One more page.

Hot shut down is one of the worst conditions for a turbo. Spinning at 75,000 rpm's and shutting off the ignition will leave a hot turbocharger spinning with no oil to lubricate the bearings. Encourage your customer to idle his engine for a couple of minutes to allow cooler oil to circulate through the unit and allow the speed of the rotor assembly to slow before he shuts off his engine. And most important, keep the oil and filter changed frequently.

The simple explanation: a wastegate limits the maximum boost generated by the turbocharger.
How it works and what it does: The wastegate uses a pressure activated diaphragm and rod to operate an exhaust bypass around the turbocharger and thus limit the maximum boost that the turbocharger can produce. This permits an engine manufacturer to use a "fast" turbo charger with a small exhaust housing to produce useable boost at low engine speed and load. To prevent excessive boost at higher engine speeds, the wastegate limits the maximum boost to a safe level for the engine, and prevents turbocharger over-speed.

The Wastegate
Most automotive turbochargers have a wastegate, which allows the use of a smaller turbocharger to reduce lag while preventing it from spinning too quickly at high engine speeds. The wastegate is a valve that allows the exhaust to bypass the turbine blades. The wastegate senses the boost pressure. If the pressure gets too high, it could be an indicator that the turbine is spinning too quickly, so the wastegate bypasses some of the exhaust around the turbine blades, allowing the blades to slow down.

Mike

D510

Post by D510 » 22 Oct 2003 23:37

wow. i've learned so much
-1988 Red Jaguar Solvereign, Cold Airintake, Exhaust, Tint, Alpine Sound System.
-1972 Black 2dr Datsun 510, slammed with Built L20B