Welp.... With the price of SR's I've went to the dark side......

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
icehouse

Welp.... With the price of SR's I've went to the dark side......

Post by icehouse »

Me and Carter have been racing our enduro car for a while now. Although our NA SR hasn't blown up yet, we need more power!! We are one of the slowest car down the straights which is super annoying, you get by someone in the corners then they just pass by you on the straights... So there are a lot of different engines we could use but.... We want it 100% so like the SR it can do 100's of hours at redline and not even care. The obvious choice is the Honda K24 out of a Acura TSX in stock form it makes 220 crank HP vs. our 150 HP SR. I will get the SR dynoed before we pull it and the K24 Dynoed before we head to the track. The Honda K was used in a zillion different models for 20 years so it's hard to beat. They hold 500hp stock engine if boosted. They are impressive. My sister had a TSX with over 300k miles and it ran perfect. We picked up a Accord K24 for mock up. We made sure to get one that looked clean since lots of parts crossover. The Accord K24 has the economy vtech so it only makes 165 HP.

All cleaned up.

scanned the bell. Going to adapt it to a 71C which is probably about the dumbest idea ever but that's what our race car runs.

There is a company that makes an adapter that for the 71C but they want 500 bucks. To me that's crazy talk. it's just a sheet of aluminum with a few holes.

Anyways, I did a bunch of google searches, it's hard to find good info or many builds so since I like starting threads and never finishing them might as well start another one.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
gooned

Re: Welp.... With the price of SR's I've went to the dark side......

Post by gooned »

Wow, I had no idea, just outta touch I guess.

Will be interesting to see what this turns into.

“Insert popcorn emoji here”
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Yesssss. You forgot to mention it should be pretty light as well!
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
510rob

Post by 510rob »

No comment (but sounds like it will be a rad setup)
cartel

Post by cartel »

doesnt someone already make a K series bell adapter then you can run a fs30a?
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Did you explore the nissan/renault MR engine series? What did you make of them?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Got everything into Solidworks and sent it over to Carter to design our adapter. Hopefully this week I can buzz one out.

JordanTr wrote: 04 Nov 2021 18:03 Yesssss. You forgot to mention it should be pretty light as well!
I wonder if it's lighter then the L18 we originally had in the car. The SR was barely heavier. The Honda engine is diecast with a stainless exhaust manifold and a baby starter.

510rob wrote: 04 Nov 2021 21:30 No comment (but sounds like it will be a rad setup)
Honda>Toyota...... hehe\
cartel wrote: 05 Nov 2021 16:44 doesnt someone already make a K series bell adapter then you can run a fs30a?
They make every adapter you can think of. We even found one that adapts it to the 71C, they want 500 bucks for it!! That's crazy talk, it's just some tin with a few holes drilled in it.

loungin112 wrote: 07 Nov 2021 09:51 Did you explore the nissan/renault MR engine series? What did you make of them?
Yeah. They don't make near the power and we just want a good of fashion NA engine. The Honda engine made 220HP in 2001 and they still use the same design today in many many cars. There was over a dozen in the yard by my place. Any Nissan engine like the MR is rare. I really wanted to keep it Nissan but Honda is just to damn good.
jeffball610

Post by jeffball610 »

The K series is a great choice. I'm happy with my 4G63, but transmission options are a bit slim since people don't support the 4G63 nearly as well as Honda stuff. Lots of people are making good power reliably with the K series and there is plenty of room for more power if you get the itch.
1972 Datsun 510
7-bolt 4G63T, EVO 9 pistons & rods, FP 6851S, "Flipped" Stock Intake Manifold, Toyota R154, Z31 R200 w/ CVs
Dmad

Post by Dmad »

Just out of curiosity what are you doing with the old N/A SR20DE? Willing to sell?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Dmad wrote: 18 Nov 2021 11:31 Just out of curiosity what are you doing with the old N/A SR20DE? Willing to sell?
It's Carter's engine. He has plans for it. Now that he's driven a EFI datto he's sold.
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

I was under the impression that Honda K24 was fairly heavy (similar to Nissan K24) and quite tall. I'm looking forward to seeing what numbers you get.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

DADZSUN wrote: 27 Nov 2021 17:23 I was under the impression that Honda K24 was fairly heavy (similar to Nissan K24) and quite tall. I'm looking forward to seeing what numbers you get.
Honda has always done diecast aluminum blocks even in the 90's so it's for sure going to be light. It is on the tall size but it is shorter (front to back) and narrower. The tall is just for their roller rockers. Even the stock flywheel is light, the starter is baby, the intake manifold is 1/3 the weight as a KA intake, the exhaust is factory a stainless header. I wish Nissan would have build something as good..... We hate hate hate Carlos's 20 year rain of Nissan Killing all the cool stuff they made.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Don't worry, all of Japan hates Carlos Ghosn too!

As of January 2020, he is an internationally wanted fugitive ---> https://www.interpol.int/en/How-we-work ... s#2020-104

"Interpol's Red Notice... is not an international arrest warrant for Ghosn, who is facing financial misconduct charges. It is simply, according to the agency, 'a request to law enforcement worldwide to locate and provisionally arrest a person pending extradition, surrender, or similar legal action.'"
(https://www.npr.org/2020/01/02/79311182 ... rlos-ghosn)

He is apparently living in Beirut, a country that has no extradition treaty with Japan. What a coincidence!
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

Just to echo what everybody else is saying, I'm really looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I would love to have that kind of NA power in my dime!
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Doraemon
Supporter

Post by Doraemon »

duke wrote: 28 Nov 2021 14:36 Just to echo what everybody else is saying, I'm really looking forward to hearing how this turns out. I would love to have that kind of NA power in my dime!
I hear yah.. :D

Would like to keep my car stockish and kind of time period correct.

But the potential these crazy Honda engines have is amazing! I looked at the videos of 'Boostedboiz' on youtube and the K series engine strapped in a Toyota MR2 SW20 is just a mentally fast 7 seconds car and seems unbreakable.