VQ, VG or KA or Redo the L20B

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
James

Re: VQ, VG or KA or Redo the L20B

Post by James »

datzenmike wrote:
James wrote:Wouldn't a stretched chain retard cam timing?
:oops: Yes, valve events would be later. Damn I even drew a picture for myself and then still used the wrong word.
After two kids and turning 40 I'm not sure I can complete a sentence :D
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

sho_shane wrote:Ok ok yall win. I did an oil change today and the oil looked pretty bad. But its full now with some good stuff.
I'm sure the PO said the oil was fresh, too? :) A small portion of James' wise advice above is to assume nothing is right. That way, you'll be pleasantly surprised when you do find something is right.
sho_shane wrote:I guess thinking about it it does feel ok for 100hp but im just not use to a 2.0L that feels this slow.
Capacity doesn't really make much difference. Oil tanker engines are the size of your house, but won't make a 510 feel fast. Fast is the last thing you should worried about at the moment.
sho_shane wrote:Where can I pick up a FSM at? Iv looked on ebay and did not find one there and the auto stores just lol at me.
:shock: The book I recommend is currently availalbe on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/o3zcsj

A quick scan of eBay also reveals at least six different service manuals currently on auction, so maybe you need to search again and take another look.

Lastly, there are many service manuals available here:

http://www.datsun510.com/modules.php?na ... ne_Manuals
sho_shane wrote:Also how do I do a Valve ADJ? I really think with the tap in head that it needs one and there is no telling when the last time if ever its been done.
The process is documented in the service manuals.

Keep in mind, you're going to need to diagnose your issues, not guess at them from the comfort of your computer chair. Your tap in the head could just as easily be the Datsun Knock Of Death as poor valve adjustment. You'll need to go in there are do the clearance checks to verify what you have and therefore determine what you need.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
James

Post by James »

Finished is better than perfect......
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Just wondering if you made any progress?
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

goatee wrote:Just wondering if you made any progress?
Last visited: Sun May 17, 2009 8:14 pm
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

I thought a post and an email notification that someone replied on here might bring him back. :D
Is my dime pretty rough? yep Could it use an owner with a little more mechanical expertise? yeah probably. Does it look like every other beige sedan in the parking lot? No sir it doesnt.
cjr198car

Post by cjr198car »

VG all the way. Cheap, reliable, and easy to source parts.

-Colton
GtsN-95.0

Post by GtsN-95.0 »

car has been sold to me
goatee
Supporter

Post by goatee »

Oh cool, got a pic and what are your plans?

See it's back!! :wink:

:D
GtsN-95.0

Post by GtsN-95.0 »

I'll try to get pics up a little later but my plays are a ca18det