L16 out ( ........ ) in

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
JBx510

L16 out ( ........ ) in

Post by JBx510 »

anyone have any ideas, because we lost interest in the L16 and want something w/ a little more bite to it...we were thinking a 13b rotary or SR20 swap, any thoughts or ideas???
nick64merc

Re: L16 out ( ........ ) in

Post by nick64merc »

I am doing a 13B Turbo II swap right now. If you are game to cut the firewall and tunnel out then I say go with the Rotary if not stick with the SR20 swap and by the mount kit and slam the thing in there. I was almost able to set the rotary behind the shock towers which should make the weight distribution pretty intersting. It all depnds on what you want to do with the car. I am building a Time attack car that will be barely street legal, so it is not going to have all the amenity's in it. You should decide on what the car is going to be used for and then plan your build from there.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Both conversions are so unbelievably well covered - I would think hundreds of either have been done and documented.. just search and read. It's unlikely someone with post you a how to article.
The information is out there...
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

JBx510 wrote:any thoughts or ideas???
Why don't you start by telling us about you.

-The car you plan on swapping (it's condition, current components, etc.)
-Your budget (full, complete budget including all accessory costs)
-Your skills as a fabricator (or how otherwise you're going to acquire all the hard bits for the swap (by "hard" I mean mounts and such, not difficulty)
-What kind of engine/powerband/look/feel you are looking for. The Wankel and SR20 are not the same, but I would infer from your two choices that you're looking for revs in place of torque. Other desired qualities?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

When I hear the words 'cut the firewall and tunnel' I cringe. Please go with something that fits so when you get tired of the 510 someone else can have some fun with it. I don't know what your skill(saw) level is, so if you don't either, go SR or KA ... anything that 'fits' easily.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Also, these two articles were written specifically for people like you:

DQ 7.2 - Engine Swap Guide: Part One -- The long-awaited round up of Nissan alternatives for your stock L16, including weights, dyno figures, and owner impressions of selected engine swaps. If you are trying to decide which engine to swap into your 510, this article is for you.

and

DQ 7.3 - Engine Swap Guide -- Part II --Japanese domestic market Nissan alternatives for your stock L16, including weights, dyno figures, and owner impressions of naturally-aspirated and turbocharged SR-series engines. If US-sourced engines are too common for you, here are some tasty alternatives.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson