Qr25de swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Dropoff510

Re: Qr25de swap

Post by Dropoff510 »

I've been keeping track of what parts I've had to use to make it work so far. But i think that would be sweet to have an article in DQ:) so since you had an article in it about yours what's involved? Dis you write article or was there some one that came? Take pics ect? It would be pretty cool to be the first qr510 in DQ :)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

With rare exception, all material in DQ is user/fabricator/owner-generated. I can figure out and provide an outline of the topics I'd like to see covered in, say, a QR510 article, and DQ provides editing assistance as well. Pictures would be supplied by the writer.

We can treat this as a DQ Reader's Project and use that outline, or it can be a stand-alone "Tech How-To" article. I don't see an engine installation article being fewer than 3000 words, or so, with ~6-8 pictures, but it could easily be longer than that if there are many quirks to the QR, or you are a good writer. We covered a VG30DE installation in the early days of DQ and it was ~8000 words spread over three issues.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Thanks :) that would be really nice to have an out line :) then I can make sure to get pics and details on that stuff. I'm not much of a writer as you have seen with my spelling haha :) I've got a friend going to school to e an English teacher hed love to help write an article :)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Dropoff510 wrote: I've got a friend going to school to e an English teacher hed love to help write an article :)
Sounds like a good combination. I'll gin up an outline and get back to you.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Strangely, you don't have a PM button :?

QR25DE Swap Outline:

-Engine description (OE applications, power, weight, design (DOHC, drive by wire, etc.), cost, source)

-Fitting the engine (mods needed to engine parts, mods needed to 510 parts)

-Accessories (fuel, cooling, exhaust, or other modifications to other parts of the 510s accessories)

-Wiring (specifically concentrating on how you got around the drive by wire, but also including how to wire the 510 harness and the engine ECU together)

-Conclusions (start up, driving impressions, dyno sheet if any, would you do it again/was it worth it, and approximate overall cost).

Essentially you're looking at writing not a step-by-step process on how to drop in a QR, but a comprehensive overview of dropping in a QR. Anyone who does this will do something differently, so exact duplication of your efforts isn't required, but enough should be documented so that people can get a feel for the swap and decide if it is for them or not.

That might be more than you were anticipating, and if so I understand. Let me know what you think and we'll go from there.

Cheers,
Julian
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Awsome ! Thank you very much. Sorry I forgot I had turned that off when I made account. Cool I'm glad it's not like a step by step cuz that would be a bit boring hehe. I'll try to compile prices and everything so far and keep a record of any future purchases and major parts. Thanks for your help
510six

Post by 510six »

The Qr25 IN MY 2007 Frontier is a very torquey motor is pulls the 4000 pound truck around just fine and has even towed my 510 over the Grapevine in So Cal. In a 510 you should have a stump puller of a motor.
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Any progress?
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
ryanbick22

Post by ryanbick22 »

my thoughts, i have the qr25 in my 02 altima ... to be honest i wouldnt put that motor on a go cart nothing but problems wit hthe newer motors such as, burning 1 qt oil every 700 miles is getting old, replacing switches and plugs and sesors all the time .... im not a mechanic and im just here to find info on the 510 .... but the qr25 seems like a horrid idea reverse the fact it would be a 6 speed, i would do alot more research on the car and weight to see if the motor will push the car i know in my car it does ok ... but i also figured the price out to push more then 350 whp im going to have to spend well of 8k ! ive put the time into this motor for research and i vote no, BUT TO EACH is own and if you want to build please do and make sure you doing it perfect so you can rub it in .... but if its a fail im sorry and i know the feeling of fail on this motor
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

So what's the latest on your install/build???
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

ryanbick22 wrote:my thoughts, i have the qr25 in my 02 altima ... to be honest i wouldnt put that motor on a go cart nothing but problems wit hthe newer motors such as, burning 1 qt oil every 700 miles is getting old, replacing switches and plugs and sesors all the time .... im not a mechanic and im just here to find info on the 510 .... but the qr25 seems like a horrid idea reverse the fact it would be a 6 speed, i would do alot more research on the car and weight to see if the motor will push the car i know in my car it does ok ... but i also figured the price out to push more then 350 whp im going to have to spend well of 8k ! ive put the time into this motor for research and i vote no, BUT TO EACH is own and if you want to build please do and make sure you doing it perfect so you can rub it in .... but if its a fail im sorry and i know the feeling of fail on this motor
The QR25 in my 09 Altima has had zero issues.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYpW1rt4USE

It's alive :)
Just watched the video it wasn't making that load of a squeak noise. My phone made it seem way loader. Sorry.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Awesome! If you turbo that thing ever it will be a major beast. Even with out I bet it will be a very nice motor for the car. The torque on that motor is awesome. Whats all left that needs to be done?
looking for pass. side arm rest
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Nice job Dropoff510 and to think how you were getting slammed when you first mentioned your plan. You certainly showed that you did indeed do your homework and some wow!!! the first QR25DE very very cool.

Lou "You don't know sh!t,,,ok I guess you do :lol:
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Dropoff510

Post by Dropoff510 »

Finally got some footage driving the datsun :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSgbxQDM ... ata_player