Ford 2.8L V6 Swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
72peagreen510

Ford 2.8L V6 Swap

Post by 72peagreen510 »

Can it be done. I've got nearly $1k to make it happen. Car and motor in hand. My father-in-law wants to try it. He's done everything from a 350ci into a Chevy Sprint, and a Mazda Rotary into a MG. Anyone tried this. Any suggestions, or things to watch for?

Ford Ranger
2.8L V6 with 4speed. Hydr clutch (already have the clutch assembly/cylinder/pedal)
jesusno2

Re: Ford 2.8L V6 Swap

Post by jesusno2 »

Why would you? I'm a ford guy, but that motor was a horrible engine if ya ask me. No horspower no torque etc. For a grand you could damn near install a ka24 that makes better power and is know to fit in a 510 chassis.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

72peagreen510 wrote:Can it be done.
If you're asking us, you can't do it. General rule, but tends to hold true. It's not a matter of if IT can be done, but if YOU can get it done. Just because it is possible doesn't mean it is possible for you. Or your father-in-law.
72peagreen510 wrote: I've got nearly $1k to make it happen.
For an EFI swap? Unlikely, even if you're doing everything yourself. Of course you haven't bothered to tell us about your (father-in-law's) skills, what he can do himself, what will need to be farmed out, condition of the car and supporting accessory systems, etc.

Aside from that, why would you even bother? It's a gutless engine. Pulled from wiki:

"Output was rated at 90 to 115 bhp for the US market" So you're installing L20B levels of power, yet spending more and hacking more.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
benz-tech
Supporter

Post by benz-tech »

While I am a V6 fan, THAT engine was the biggest turd Ford ever made, 2nd only to Chevy's 2.8L of the same era. Both, IIRC, had issues with carefully placing a connecting rod through the block with no warning at all. Besides Ford went to the 2.9 only a few years after starting with the 2.8. THEY learned their lesson. Just because you have an engine already doesn't make it a good idea to use it in a 510.
The temptation of that smooth-shifting 4-spd behind it might be a bit much to take, though. I see your point.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

there was a 510 here in oregon for sale a few years back with that 2.8 ford in it. The fellow who bought the car pulled it out and put a l20b in it. the l20 was faster and the car handled better with the l20
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's