Turbo L28 vs 200 V6

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
chopper528

Turbo L28 vs 200 V6

Post by chopper528 »

Have a 70 510 and have a turbo 83 L28 and a V6 from a 88 200sx looking for input for what motor to us and has anyone tried doing a napz motor block and L head looking to make 300hp plus
merlin
Supporter

Re: Turbo L28 vs 200 V6

Post by merlin »

chopper528 wrote:Have a 70 510 and have a turbo 83 L28 and a V6 from a 88 200sx looking for input for what motor to us and has anyone tried doing a napz motor block and L head looking to make 300hp plus

go v6, it will fit. the l28 will require firewall cuts.

z series with an l head is done all the time ... use the search function above and look for LZ to find the mods. however 300 hp is going to be a stretch out of either engine.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
chopper528

Post by chopper528 »

If cutting the fire wall is all I'm a welder by trade (23 yrs) and have cut and reworded the front end using a nissan altima and have coil overs at the corners with disc will have to send some pic's thanks for all the help and input
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

the linline 6 is a rare and old mod... the VG30 200sx is a much more common mod...

check this page out http://www.vg30.com/510vg30parts.html

you'll get an idea of whats needed for the vg swap

Other common swaps KA24e or de out of the later trucks and 240sx's... turbo kits available to get to 300 hp

sr20det 2 liter turbo 4 out of Japan... 300 hp is possible there

13b mazda rotary

buick/rover aluminum v8

I don't think there is a single web example of an Lseries 6 in a 510... the last time I saw one was 20 years ago.

Your VG... or an LZ22 - Z22 block, plus a U67 L20b head and some machine work would be a very satisfying engine... too much engine weight and you screw up the handling of the car. Your HP number in a 510 doesn't mean fast. its a small car, think 220hp and you'll still have a freaking rocket, plus the power to carve canyons etc.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

chopper528 wrote:If cutting the fire wall is all I'm a welder by trade
If that's "all" then we wouldn't end up with abortions like this:

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 31#p139230

Your stated goal is 300 HP. 300 HP is mostly useless in a 510. It's like the current crop of 600+HP Mercedes Benz AMG models. You can't use the power because you can't maintain traction. There are very few 300 HP 510s in existance, but that's only one of the reasons. Have you even driven a true 150 HP 510?

It would be significantly more costly in the end to try to make one of your engine choices into what you want, versus going the SR20DET route. Yeah, yeah, you've got the L28 and the VG sitting there, they're yours, they're free...whatever. Define your goal, then decide the best way to get there (easiest, most cost-effective, most practical, easiest to work on, etc.). The I6 510 combo has so many disadvantages that you'll likely end up ruining another 510 chassis (like the link above) and never run your 510 again.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
chopper528

Post by chopper528 »

Thanks you very much just looking to take the carbs off 300 hp was just a base and I have never driven a small car true 150 plus not looking for speed just fun and would like to keep driving my car till I swap the engine I have a startup stand to us and a pick a part yard to pull parts :D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

chopper528 wrote:Thanks you very much just looking to take the carbs off 300 hp was just a base and I have never driven a small car true 150 plus not looking for speed just fun and would like to keep driving my car till I swap the engine I have a startup stand to us and a pick a part yard to pull parts :D
Your reply is virtually unreadable. Add in some punctuation and capitalization, that way everyone can read and understand what you're saying instead of having to figure out what it is you're saying. People might not take the time to translate your post and you won't get replies.

Essentially what I gather from your post above is that you're looking to modernize your 510 a bit. Remove the carbs, add on some EFI? A KA24DE swap will be all you need. EFI, true 150HP at the wheels, more than quick enough for someone who's never driving a fast 510. Reliable.

Plenty of information here about that swap, just start searching. I'd also recommend buying/building all the required parts before attempting the swap, that'll keep the downtime to a minimum. But, understand that there will be some downtime and it may stretch out into months, depending on your skills and abilities. I would not classify a KA swap as "easy" even though it is worlds easier than an L28 swap. VG swap, as merlin mentioned, is made easy by the EE fit kit, and will give you a little less power than the KA but more torque. Either engine swap is enough to get you in trouble, power-wise, so just play it smart.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

It must be the holidays...a kinder, gentler Julian!! :lol:
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

okayfine wrote:Your stated goal is 300 HP. 300 HP is mostly useless in a 510. It's like the current crop of 600+HP Mercedes Benz AMG models. You can't use the power because you can't maintain traction. There are very few 300 HP 510s in existance, but that's only one of the reasons. Have you even driven a true 150 HP 510?
What if you don't care about off-the-line performance much, but instead want strong acceleration in the 30-80mph range? :D
I'm your huckleberry.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

Matt, we have a saying up here "don't poke the bear".

You are the "Pokey", the "Bear" is Julian, the stick is anything that pisses Julian off.

Stop Poking the Bear! :lol:

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

merlin wrote: sr20det 2 liter turbo 4 out of Japan... 300 hp is possible there
Here's an example SR with 280-ish RWHP: http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php? ... rrow!-haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTo1m_WWSYs
Last edited by datzenmike on 20 Dec 2009 12:08, edited 7 times in total.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

merlin wrote:Matt, we have a saying up here "don't poke the bear".

You are the "Pokey", the "Bear" is Julian, the stick is anything that pisses Julian off.

Stop Poking the Bear! :lol:
Actually, it's a serious question. I know 300hp is more than enough to smoke the tires from a standstill in a 510, but I've been in a nice 300hp/300ft lb AMG mercedes and loved the freeway passing acceleration it had.
I'm your huckleberry.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

thisismatt wrote:What if you don't care about off-the-line performance much, but instead want strong acceleration in the 30-80mph range? :D
We'd have to define "strong acceleration" and the rest of the parameters of the test. It's quite possible off-the-line performace is directly related to acceleration through the gears. If the question is of utilizing 300HP in a street 510 with off-the-line traction removed from the equation, then that's something we can discuss. I'd still venture that with the average rear suspension build and tread patch, a second-gear romp in a 300HP 510 would light 'em up even still. Then again, a 300HP SR would likely be somewhat laggy and a stock VG30 may prove faster overall, but it might depend on the particulars of the test.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

thisismatt wrote:I know 300hp is more than enough to smoke the tires from a standstill in a 510, but I've been in a nice 300hp/300ft lb AMG mercedes and loved the freeway passing acceleration it had.
You wouldn't need a 300HP 510 to equal the acceleration of a 300HP Benz just due to the weight issue. Say the Benz has 300HP and lb/ft and weighs in at 3800 lb. That's 12.6 pounds per horsepower. In a 510 weighing 2200 pounds (my KA510 was 2200 lb) you'd need 175HPish to keep up with the Benz's power-to-weight figure. That may or may not directly tie in to acceleration times (due to things like gearing), but they could be equalized without too much work. A KA510 with a 3.9 LSD would be a punchy beast. Add some cams and an exhaust and you'd be hanging with that AMG.
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

okayfine wrote:
thisismatt wrote:I know 300hp is more than enough to smoke the tires from a standstill in a 510, but I've been in a nice 300hp/300ft lb AMG mercedes and loved the freeway passing acceleration it had.
You wouldn't need a 300HP 510 to equal the acceleration of a 300HP Benz just due to the weight issue. Say the Benz has 300HP and lb/ft and weighs in at 3800 lb. That's 12.6 pounds per horsepower. In a 510 weighing 2200 pounds (my KA510 was 2200 lb) you'd need 175HPish to keep up with the Benz's power-to-weight figure. That may or may not directly tie in to acceleration times (due to things like gearing), but they could be equalized without too much work. A KA510 with a 3.9 LSD would be a punchy beast. Add some cams and an exhaust and you'd be hanging with that AMG.
Well, it was the C43 sedan, which supposedly weighs in around 3461lbs. Plus, it had 4 adults in it at the time :lol:
I'm your huckleberry.