self-adjusting clutch master cylinder - VG Install

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
qwik510
Supporter

self-adjusting clutch master cylinder - VG Install

Post by qwik510 »

I am working on my VG33 install and I was reading on VG30.com about the clutch master cylinder.

On the website Dave Carroll says

"You'll need to upgrade to a self-adjusting clutch master cylinder (if you haven't already) as there is no provision for manual adjustment on any of the late model 5 speed clutch release forks."

I need to get one so which model Nissan cars had the self adjusting Clutch Master Cylinders that will bolt into a 510?

TIA,

David
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
Baz

Re: self-adjusting clutch master cylinder - VG Install

Post by Baz »

its terminology.
And I believe he is refering to the release fork with the hole for
the adjustable push rod.
Fitting a later 510 non adjustable rod is all you need.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Baz wrote:its terminology.
And I believe he is refering to the release fork with the hole for
the adjustable push rod.
Fitting a later 510 non adjustable rod is all you need.
I am still not too sure. Here is everything he said

"That's a stock 300ZX clutch slave cylinder. This slave cylinder puts the hose parallel to the ground. The stock 510 slave cylinder will point the hose down and it will be the lowest part of the car - not a good thing! You'll need to upgrade to a self-adjusting clutch master cylinder (if you haven't already) as there is no provision for manual adjustment on any of the late model 5 speed clutch release forks."

I have the 300ZX slave cylinder and also the 300ZX clutch master cyl. but the clutch master has a different bolt pattern then the 510. I thought others doing the VG30 swap used a clutch master cyl that was a bolt in.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

As far as I can tell the S13 SR slave is identical to the OE 510 slave excepting for it is the modern self-adjusting type. I had bolted on the OE 510 slave to the SR trans during mockup and had no issues, except for the lack of the hole in the clutch fork. I quickly discovered the clutch fork is harndened when I tried to drill a hole in it, so I went back to the SR slave that came with the trans and all is well.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I think it must have been late at night when Dave Carroll wrote that. It is what is on his website though.
It was confusing. I think he meant to say that the slave cyl. needs to be self adjusting.

I have the 300zx self adjusting slave so I will use that along with a stock 510 5/8th" clutch master cyl.

Thanks to all that responded.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage