Team Thump/VG30.com...

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
cjr198car

Team Thump/VG30.com...

Post by cjr198car »

This may be an obvious question, but how much oil does everyone else use with the 6 quart oil pan from Team Thump or VG30.com?

-Colton
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Team Thump/VG30.com...

Post by okayfine »

Which pan do you have? VG30.com is different from Team Thump. In either case, the best answer will be obtained by talking with the fabricator of your oil pan.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
cjr198car

Post by cjr198car »

Thanks for your response. I have a Team Thump pan. Does anyone here have a VG with a Team Thump or VG30.com oil pan? When you change the oil how much do you put in? I use about 4.5 quarts. Just trying to see if anyone actually puts a full six quarts in the "six quart oil pan".

-Colton
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

cjr198car wrote:Thanks for your response. I have a Team Thump pan. Does anyone here have a VG with a Team Thump or VG30.com oil pan? When you change the oil how much do you put in? I use about 4.5 quarts. Just trying to see if anyone actually puts a full six quarts in the "six quart oil pan".

-Colton
Since I am working on my VG swap with the team thump pan, I was wondering the same thing about a month ago. I got it touch with Jeff from team thump and he replied that the TT VG30 oil pan takes 4 quarts. Seems a bit low to me but I think he should know.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
cjr198car

Post by cjr198car »

Thank you Qwik!
Mr.510

Post by Mr.510 »

The VG510 oil pans I currently build are "5 quart". My website has not been updated in many, many years and is incorrect. I had to reduce the sump size early on (around Y2k) as I discovered some manufacturing differences in 510 front crossmembers. I recommend putting 5 quarts of oil in the motor when you change the oil and filter. Run the engine for a minute, turn it off, wait a couple minutes, and check the dipstick. You'll probably find the level is at about the top of the 'torpedo' on the end of the cable. Dipsticks, tubes, and their installation can vary and this is why you should check to see where 'normal' reads when you install one of my oil pans. Except for the earliest prototypes all of my oil pans are made *exactly* the same. I use precision fixtures and laser cut/CNC formed parts. The difference in capacity between any two of my production oil pans is less than 1/4 cup.
www.vg30.com
Magic Carpet 510

Post by Magic Carpet 510 »

I have a team thump oil pan and I can tell you that you DO NOT want the oil level to get below half way down the stick. I am using a VG30 out of a 86 300zx and using the stock oil stick. When I put 4Qs in as David suggested, the oil level hits the top line on the dip stick.

My motor is currently burning oil (1Q per 150 miles) so I have had a lot of practice of watching the miles per oil fill up lately. If I let the oil get down to the bottom of the stick the oil pickup will start sucking air when I go around corners. When the oil level gets to the bottom of the stick I can drive down the interstate and just wiggle the car left and right and watch the oil pressure drop on my Autometer gauge.

That's maybe 1.5 Qs low and seems pretty dangerous to me. I would not want to be rushing any corners with anything but a full 4Qs of oil. I don't know if there is a cure for this or not.

I know you should not be running around with your car 1.5Qs low on oil but how do I know that with .5 low I can pull a full G turn without starving the pickup. I am still sorting the car out (all new front coilovers, everything adjustable) so I have not pushed it that hard in the corners yet.
Ron Clifton
Winston Salem,NC
71 510 VG30, next step...turbo!
Making a Sasquatch sized carbon footprint and loving it!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Baffles. Hinged trap doors. Does the TT pan have these? If so, how high is your oil pick-up tube from the inside bottom of the pan?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Magic Carpet 510

Post by Magic Carpet 510 »

That's a good question. I can't really answer until I pull the motor again. I am thinking of building a fresh VG33 or VG34 to replace the VG30 in there. Until then I will just keep feeding it oil and keep an eye on the level.
Ron Clifton
Winston Salem,NC
71 510 VG30, next step...turbo!
Making a Sasquatch sized carbon footprint and loving it!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If you click on the picture here:

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphot ... hoto=21281

you can see that the EE pans have these hinged baffles. Key to keeping the pick-up tube surrounded by oil.