Common motor swap list or sticky?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
snorider

Common motor swap list or sticky?

Post by snorider » 13 Mar 2010 16:12

Is there a list of common motor swaps for the 510s? Maybe even not-so-common ones?

indy510

Re: Common motor swap list or sticky?

Post by indy510 » 13 Mar 2010 17:54

Starting with the most common: any bigger L series......L18, L20B (your cheapest option,,,, and the ONLY easy install on this list)

L20B with a webber DGV:

KA24DE with ITBs:

KA24E:

SR20DET:

SR20DE:

CA18DET:

CA18ET:

VG30DETT:

VG33 supercharged:

13BT:

FJ20:

F20c (S2000 motor):

RB26DETT:

Last edited by indy510 on 14 Mar 2010 18:58, edited 2 times in total.

snorider

Post by snorider » 13 Mar 2010 18:14

EDIT: Awesome!!! Very nice list, and with pictures!! Thats what I'm talking about! Thank you!!!!!!

Now this should be a sticky. :wink:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm No s2000 honda motor?

I'll assume that the Sr20DE is common too?

What about pathfinder motors? VG33E??

Good list but there's got to be an actual complete list somewhere??
Last edited by snorider on 14 Mar 2010 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt » 13 Mar 2010 18:18

s2000 is not common. I've seen 2, maybe 3 of them.

VG33E...same as VG30, but still harder to find cheap donors.

SR20DE is an import motor, so most people would probably just go KA24DE or shell out a little more cash and do DET.
I'm your huckleberry.

merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin » 13 Mar 2010 19:07

snorider wrote: Good list but there's got to be an actual complete list somewhere???
completed engine projects? nope that list is pretty much it for common swaps... we frown on excess stupidity here, our cars are getting far too rare to tolerate dumbass pipe dreams.

there was also the Tool who built the rb26det 510 and turned it into a lawn ornament at one of his first drag races... way bad weight/layout issues.

If you want stupid amounts of hp, build a hot sr20det... you want stupid torque go with a vg30... both have kits for install.

Lots of other people try other things, but we just buy their hacked up cars off craigslist after a few years when they give up.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"

wilderb

Post by wilderb » 13 Mar 2010 19:31

Lots of other people try other things, but we just buy their hacked up cars off craigslist after a few years when they give up.

sad but true some of these pople getting into the 510 scene don't know squat about old cars and just want to have one to be cool and brag about them like they are trophys, I cant blame them but there is more to owning a classic like the 510, like the pride of knowing the last litle detail abut it because you have done all of the work yourself, and the brotherhood that it brings out the best in all of us when someone needs help, the datsun 510 has a cult like following something that not all old cars have.

510rob

Post by 510rob » 13 Mar 2010 19:51

indy510 wrote:In order of commoness:

L20b
KA24DE
SR20DET
VG30(d)e
CA18DET
13B(T)
12A
3SGTE
Busa motor?
3.8L GM V6
Who has a 3SGTE in a 510? I want to see details!

(You forgot the Mitsu 4G63)

indy510

Post by indy510 » 13 Mar 2010 19:55

I know you will not believe me,,,, but my friend has a 3SGTE head on a celica block frankenstien motor....

Fully blueprinted race motor with racing cams and dual 44mm mikunis......... relocated dizzy......... non-flipped crossmember

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 14 Mar 2010 09:12

snorider wrote:Is there a list of common motor swaps for the 510s? Maybe even not-so-common ones?
So, essentially, you want a list of every motor ever swapped into a 510? For what purpose?

Once again, the time to worry about an engine swap is after you have sorted all the other issues on the 510 you have (not yet) purchased. This is the classic cart-before-the-horse and will get you about as far.

That said, there's plenty written already for you to do your own research, starting with the all-Nissan Dime Quarterly Engine Swap Guide. You are the perfect audience for those two articles, you're exactly who we write these things for.

DQ 7.2 - Engine Swap Guide: Part One -- The long-awaited round up of Nissan alternatives for your stock L16, including weights, dyno figures, and owner impressions of selected engine swaps. If you are trying to decide which engine to swap into your 510, this article is for you.

DQ 7.3 - Engine Swap Guide -- Part II --Japanese domestic market Nissan alternatives for your stock L16, including weights, dyno figures, and owner impressions of naturally-aspirated and turbocharged SR-series engines. If US-sourced engines are too common for you, here are some tasty alternatives.

www.dimequarterly.com
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

snorider

Post by snorider » 14 Mar 2010 17:29

okayfine wrote:
snorider wrote:Is there a list of common motor swaps for the 510s? Maybe even not-so-common ones?
So, essentially, you want a list of every motor ever swapped into a 510? For what purpose?

Once again, the time to worry about an engine swap is after you have sorted all the other issues on the 510 you have (not yet) purchased. This is the classic cart-before-the-horse and will get you about as far.

That said, there's plenty written already for you to do your own research, starting with the all-Nissan Dime Quarterly Engine Swap Guide. You are the perfect audience for those two articles, you're exactly who we write these things for.

DQ 7.2 - Engine Swap Guide: Part One -- The long-awaited round up of Nissan alternatives for your stock L16, including weights, dyno figures, and owner impressions of selected engine swaps. If you are trying to decide which engine to swap into your 510, this article is for you.

DQ 7.3 - Engine Swap Guide -- Part II --Japanese domestic market Nissan alternatives for your stock L16, including weights, dyno figures, and owner impressions of naturally-aspirated and turbocharged SR-series engines. If US-sourced engines are too common for you, here are some tasty alternatives.

http://www.dimequarterly.com

First off, you don't need to be a high horse dick to everyone who has an honest question. It's called RESEARCH, you know, that thing you keep telling people to do.

Second, is it so wrong that I want to know as much about 510's as possible BEFORE I buy one? Isn't that what you have been saying all along???

Third, thanks for finally answering my question, even after b*tching about it first.......

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 14 Mar 2010 18:42

snorider wrote:First off, you don't need to be a high horse dick to everyone who has an honest question. It's called RESEARCH, you know, that thing you keep telling people to do.
Look, there's plenty for you to research and plenty for you to buy even before you buy a 510, much less afterward. Distracting yourself with engine swaps is just that, a distraction. You seem to be very focused on said engine swap and we've seen this time and again, and it almost always ends badly...for the car. Your enthusiasm is commendable, but your focus on engine swaps is misplaced.

Eight of your ten posts at The Realm are engine-swap related.

Secondly, the Internet, and this forum in specific, is bad for general questions. Asking for a laundry list of every motor swap performed in a 510 is very general and useless for even your purposes. Asking specific, directed questions is the way to go, as is providing as much information from your end as possible (one of the key Suggestions For New 510 Owners that I directed you to a couple times).
snorider wrote:Second, is it so wrong that I want to know as much about 510's as possible BEFORE I buy one? Isn't that what you have been saying all along???
No, of course not. However, how applicable is obtaining the knowledge of all engine swaps ever performed? It is never a question of if IT can be done, but whether YOU can do it. They are two very different things. And as such, knowing what can be swapped is of very little use.
snorider wrote:Third, thanks for finally answering my question, even after b*tching about it first.......
Well, I suggested picking up the DQ backissues in a reply to your first post. Enough information contained therein to keep you occupied simply reading for a week.

You want to have an engine swap thread? Define your budget for the complete swap, your preferences for power output, powerband, your abilities with regard to fabrication and wrenching in general, and how you match up to the segments of the How To Plan Your Project thread. With that information we can get down to brass tacks and deal with exactly what you’re contemplating, down to recommending a specific engine to fit the bill.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

snorider

Post by snorider » 14 Mar 2010 19:23

Fair enough.

But, the main thing that attracted me to the 510 was the prospect of a modern, fuel injected, decent HP motor. And the styling or course.

I'm hoping to find a good deal on a 510 without a motor for this project, I have little to no interest in a OE powered 510. That's why I've posted so much about swaps. I see no reason to buy a good running 510 and then take the motor out. Thats a waste in my eyes. I'm going to try to find one that needs a motor/trans. I'd be saving a 510, not ruining one.

snorider

Post by snorider » 14 Mar 2010 19:25

BTW, indy510, in case you didn't see my edited post....Thanks for the great post!

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 14 Mar 2010 19:37

snorider wrote:I see no reason to buy a good running 510 and then take the motor out. Thats a waste in my eyes. I'm going to try to find one that needs a motor/trans. I'd be saving a 510, not ruining one.
Perhaps. But how do you figure out what works and what doesn't on this 510 you buy with no engine or trans? If you can't drive it, you don't really have any idea if the brakes work, or the fuel system, or, crucially, the electrical system. Any problems there, much less the various modifications involved in an engine swap, prolong a project, cost more money, and lead to failed projects anew. I'm not making this up as some sort of Doom Machine, it happens all the time, in this very forum.

As I've already said, an engine swap is a big enough project in itself. If you try to combine that with a car which you don't know anything about and cannot verify key componetry...when it comes to debugging your swap you will likely be chasing ten different problems at the same time and going nowhere fast.

Buy a running car. Drive it a while. Work out the bugs. Get a feel for working on some very vintage iron. Any car you're going to buy is going to need work, trust me. Enjoy simply driving a 510 for what it is, all the while doing small projects that you're going to need for your big-time engine swap build anyway. Suspension. Brakes. Cooling. Body work. Paint. Research.

Or don't. But you're not going to find many advising you to buy the roller and start up an engine swap, at least until we get a better feel for your skills.

indy510

Post by indy510 » 14 Mar 2010 20:26

okayfine wrote:So, essentially, you want a list of every motor ever swapped into a 510? For what purpose?
I don't know why ,,, , ,,, but I figure if we give him what he wants he might stop bitching

A few of the "not-so-common" swaps:

Subaru Flat 4:

7M-GTE:

VH45DE:

VQ35DE:

Twin turbo Chevy V6:

?????:

Twin turbo V12:

AC propulsion electric motor, with Litium ion batteries:

Last edited by indy510 on 15 Mar 2010 02:05, edited 4 times in total.