Doing a Rolling Engine Swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
JDM510

Re: Doing a Rolling Engine Swap

Post by JDM510 »

wow i wish they had a tech shop like that in the SD area.... it would be a big hit.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm pretty sure there is one in Edmonton of all places. I remember as a kid in the early 80's going there with my father to work on one of his friends cars. I'm sure it's still there. in the mid 90's I blew up an engine (collapsed a piston) on my L16 in my green 68, and I looked into renting a spot to install a junkyard L20B to get me back home to Vancouver, however the shop was booked solid. I ended up back at a friend of my fathers place to do the job in an evening. Another one of my father’s friends helped me pull the motor out of a 710 at the pick a part on the west side (I wonder if that place is still there or if it’s houses by now!) I kept the piston; it's on the wall of shame.
But these types of shops are a great idea. I don't know of one in the Vancouver area.
Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

back in the mid to late 70's, just before I met Andy, there were 2 shops that were the rental space idea, tools, hoists , etc. I used them quite frequently, as they stayed open very late, even during the week. I would sometimes do my run up the squamish highway, then stop at the place on west 2nd, and make whatever changes I needed to do. I really liked it, as i could be warm and dry. Specially warm, as most years that I stored my 510 in different garages, there was no heat.

as a good chunk of us on this site know...you have really not "worked" on a car, till you have done it on COLD concrete, or dirt, wind blowing...so many clothes on you can hardy turn over under the car. ( think the kid in CHRISTMAS STORY, in his snow suit), your hands numb from the tools being so cold.....
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I hope I never have to work on my car :P
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
James

Post by James »

[quote=as a good chunk of us on this site know...you have really not "worked" on a car, till you have done it on COLD concrete, or dirt, wind blowing...so many clothes on you can hardy turn over under the car. ( think the kid in CHRISTMAS STORY, in his snow suit), your hands numb from the tools being so cold.....[/quote]

Having fixed a clutch on gravel at one point in my life (I am reliving it now)...I want a lift and a heated garage....
Finished is better than perfect......
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Rich and I have a bit in common...

I am in the Auto Hobby Shop at least 3 times a month improving stuff.

Its the best $5/hr I have ever spent.
They think I am strange for using my own tools though...
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov
duke
Supporter

Post by duke »

gbean, your in Santa Rosa right? Where is there one around us and what kind of facilities to they have?
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
gbean
Supporter

Post by gbean »

Duke! Sorry for the extremely late reply. I just found the topic reply email in my inbox which is backlogged with 1000+ unread emails.

The hobby shop Rich and I were referring to is a benefit on most military installations to military members.
The one I go to is in Fairfield @ Travis AFB.
They have lifts, tools, specialty tools, machining equipment, etc...

I could get you in if for some reason that appealed to you.
"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
-Isaac Asimov