SR20 Question

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
spoolinitup33

SR20 Question

Post by spoolinitup33 »

I need to get my crank pulley trimmed down some. The only one I'm using is the inner one, it turns the alternator and the water pump so there's two more pulleys on there that aren't in use. Do you just have to remove that one big bolt in the center of the pulleys to get them off? And then use a pulley puller? And it seems like I read on here somewhere that you can only have that outer one removed, is that correct?
510rob

Re: SR20 Question

Post by 510rob »

make sure you aren't dismantling a torsional damper - that weight is worth keeping on the crankshaft.

take & post pictures, if for no other reason than the fact that I am an overgrown ki(nerd)d and like to look at pictures of techie stuff.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Here are my pulleys. Both of them are shaved but one more than the other. As long as you don't shave the rubber balancer/damper part you should be fine. Completely shave the first section and took to grooves off the second. Also had it balanced with my rotating assembly while I was at it.
And this is why I have 2 pulleys.... Previous owner didn't set the woodruff key correctly. AKA caveman status.
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

So to get that pulley off, you just have to take out the big bolt in the middle, right? And then use a pulley puller to get it off? There's nothing that's going to fly apart or anything is there? I really need to get mine trimmed down.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Remove the bolt and the pulley may just come off by hand. Mine did (SR20DE). No other magic, aside from figuring out how to lock the engine during removal and (proper) torquing during installation.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Yeah, if the motor is out of the car then you can use a puller, otherwise a soft "persuader" or 2 thin pry bars in between the back of the pulley and the front cover.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Can't you use an air ratchet to get the bolt off and you won't have to worry about having to lock the engine? I'll have to look and see what I need to torque it back to. You don't think if you just put some lock tight on it and ran it back in there with an air ratchet it'd be alright? I'm not saying torque it down as hard as the air ratchet can, just get it on there good.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

There's a torque spec for the crank pulley bolt. I would definitely follow that spec specifically.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

okayfine wrote:There's a torque spec for the crank pulley bolt. I would definitely follow that spec specifically.
Alright.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Hey I was looking through the FSM for the S13 SR20 and I can't remember which numbers are the ones I need to torque the bolt to. Beside the line that is drawn to that bolt it has the picture of a wrench and it has the numbers 142-152 (14.5-15.5, 105-112). Isn't the 105-112 what you torque it to?
thisismatt
Supporter

Post by thisismatt »

spoolinitup33 wrote:Hey I was looking through the FSM for the S13 SR20 and I can't remember which numbers are the ones I need to torque the bolt to. Beside the line that is drawn to that bolt it has the picture of a wrench and it has the numbers 142-152 (14.5-15.5, 105-112). Isn't the 105-112 what you torque it to?
They're all what you tighten to, in different units. Use the symbol key to determine which is N*m, kg-m, and ft-lb or in-lb. On newer manuals if it's a black box with a white wrench then it's N*m (kg-m, ft-lb). If it's a white box with black wrench it's N*m (kg-m, in-lb).
I'm your huckleberry.
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Alright, thanks for the info on that.