Radiator shroud question.

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
spoolinitup33

Radiator shroud question.

Post by spoolinitup33 »

I am using a Ron Davis radiator on my SR20 swap, it's 22"x16"x3". I don't have an electric fan on it yet, and I don't have a shroud either. It doesn't get THAT hot here in the summer, usually in the 85-90 degree range and I'm not going to be sitting in traffic for any long lengths of time either. I'm just wondering if I need to get a shroud made for my radiator, or if I could just put an electric fan on there? If I can just use the fan with no shroud, I will just have to take it to someone who can tig weld and let them put some mounts on it that I can bolt the fan to. But if I need to get a shroud, I don't know what I will do. And I think the biggest fan I can put on it is a 14", I was going to get a Spal fan and they don't have a 15" fan and I don't think a 16" will fit, I'll have to measure and make sure though.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Radiator shroud question.

Post by okayfine »

No shroud will work. Ideally you do want to keep the lower belly pan, or find one. And make sure you eliminate the gaps between the radiator and the metal, etc., so that you force the air through.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson