Another radiator question.

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
spoolinitup33

Another radiator question.

Post by spoolinitup33 »

I'm about to order a Spal electric fan and I was going to get some brackets that go onto the fan because it might work out good to where I can put a bolt through the lip on the radiator. But when I got onto the bracket page, it said it comes with a pin, a lock spring, and a rubber washer. I used to have a fan mounted on my 300zx and I just had those pins that go through the radiator holding it on. I don't really want to do that, but is there anything wrong with using those? I know they would probably eventually break, but can it hurt your radiator?
jason
Supporter

Re: Another radiator question.

Post by jason »

Don't mount the fan that way! Mine was mounted that way by the PO. One of the ties broke on the last cruise and when the fan came on at a gas station, the fan flopping around let the blades contact the rad and punched a hole in the rad and shattered all the fan blades 50 miles from home :evil: ! Take a look at Byron's build for the Bronze. He mounted 2 9" "Zirgo" fans on the front of the rad support behind the grill and pushes the air through the rad. I redid mine the same way copying Byron, leaves a lot more room in the engine bay!
Jason
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If you've got mounts on the radiator, I'd definitely use them versus the through-core zip ties. Depending on your eventual level of bling-ness, you could get something made. Or you could make your own mounts:

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

okayfine wrote:If you've got mounts on the radiator, I'd definitely use them versus the through-core zip ties. Depending on your eventual level of bling-ness, you could get something made. Or you could make your own mounts:
Well I'm gonna have to get some mounts made and welded onto the radiator, that's why I was kind of wondering about the zip ties, just to save money, but I can get it done correctly.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... ud+project

here is a quick referal back to my fan/shroud project. The idea of a the mass of the fan, being hung from the rad, with those silly straps, is a recipe for disaster down the road, when vibration and fatigue take there toll. Jason found that out.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gooned

Post by gooned »

jason wrote:Don't mount the fan that way! Mine was mounted that way by the PO. One of the ties broke on the last cruise and when the fan came on at a gas station, the fan flopping around let the blades contact the rad and punched a hole in the rad and shattered all the fan blades 50 miles from home :evil: !
man that guy was a hack... :roll:
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Yah, but it lasted like 15 years that way :wink: ! The solid mount is way nicer Jason!
Jason
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Were the straps that you used plastic? You can get metal ones from spal. I've already mounted the fan on there, but I don't know if I like the way I put it on there or not and I'd like to just put a couple of those straps on there for back up.
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I used 4 bolts on each fan this time and mounted directly onto the rad support! The plastic straps are what gave way.
Jason