spacer used for stock 510 mount, sr swap?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
blkdackz1

spacer used for stock 510 mount, sr swap?

Post by blkdackz1 »

I was wondering what is normally used as a spacer when using the stock 510 mounts?
I talked to Icehouse regarding which mounts to use, though, I never asked what to space them with. I've looked through multiple build threads and have not seen any detail on the mounts. Any help with this is much appreciated.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: spacer used for stock 510 mount, sr swap?

Post by okayfine »

Metal, doesn't much matter if'n it is aluminum or steel plate. Might depend on how and where you're doing the spacing.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
sssr20det510

Post by sssr20det510 »

Why don't you just use 620 mounts
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Yup, 620 mounts are the winners. no spacer needed.
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
blkdackz1

Post by blkdackz1 »

sssr20det510 wrote:Why don't you just use 620 mounts
I bought new 510 mounts after getting info from Icehouse, I can't really throw him under the bus though, being that I asked him which I should get between mckinney and stock. :x
johnbureezu wrote:Yup, 620 mounts are the winners. no spacer needed.
Would it be better to use a certain year, or are all the same?
Thanks John. I'd like to see your goon and drool over the motor that I'd rather have.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah just put some metal spacers in-between your new mount and the x-member. I wouldn't buy different mounts. No real need just find the desired spacer thickness, really the most important reasons are more ground clearance and the steering won't hit the bell. It's not like it has to be to precise.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

I originally had spacers with 510 mounts. Since you already have the mounts, just run the spacers. I had a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum as a spacer. The cool thing with the spacers is you can fine tune the engine placement. Second time around I found that late 70s 620 mounts were the height I needed w/o a spacer. that's all. No throwing Icehouse under the bus...both mounts will work. :wink:
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
inline4

Post by inline4 »

wait, so the 620 mount sits on all 4's and doesnt require a spacer? I'm assuming it will work well with the KA also?
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Why do you have to use a spacer to begin with? I put my SR in on the stock motor mounts without any kind of spacers.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

spoolinitup33 wrote:Why do you have to use a spacer to begin with? I put my SR in on the stock motor mounts without any kind of spacers.
The steering hits the bell without a spacer. It's worse on some cars than others. Sometimes it requires loosening the steering box and idler and pulling them away from the bell. Just trying to get full lock to lock that's all.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
sssr20det510

Post by sssr20det510 »

If you ask jeff to buy new mounts or make something out of metal he will always choose to build rather than buy LOL
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Oh well mine just barely touches at full lock but I didn't really care. I used the mckinney motorsports mounts though.