CAS for a KA?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Yellowcar

CAS for a KA?

Post by Yellowcar »

I plan to use the CAS (Crank angle sensor) from my KA but will not be using the distributor.
Does anyone know if there is a another motor with a CAS only setup that works in a KA? or if there was ever a KA with coil on plug?
Does an SR CAS fit?

THX..
okayfine
Supporter

Re: CAS for a KA?

Post by okayfine »

No KA coil-on-plug in the US, anyway. KA did see use outside of the US, but wasn't common.

My S14 KA had a CAS only, I don't think any KAs were shipped with an actual distributor. SR CAS is likely very similar internally/wiring, but is going to be different WRT drive and mounting.

SR gear and mounting shown below
SR Electric Distributor.jpg
SR Electric Distributor.jpg (146.43 KiB) Viewed 7490 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

ALL... well okay well most, Nissan CAS use what looks to be the same (or similar) decoder wheel, the difference is in the ECU. A KA24DE CAS would work with coilpacks if some sort of standalone was used. I installed a Autronic SR20 wheel in the CAS on my SR so that I could use Megasquirt to trigger the coils (true coil on plug not wasted spark). I imagine Autronic would work if you want a more name brand (blingy) system...
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
indy510

Post by indy510 »

Did you see the last post in Duke's Project Thread?:

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=300

Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

I am using a haltech ecu and need both a crank and a cam sensor so I can run sequential injection and possibly coil on plug (or at least wasted spark). I thought that it would be easiest to use the Nissan CAS for now since it has both but I do not want the distributor cap sitting there with no plug wires in it. I initially planned to hack off the dist parts and make a cover like I did on the 72 but a factory CAS only setup is a lot easier (if I can find one)
Unclejesse

Post by Unclejesse »

I'm not super familiar with the variations in KAs, but your distributor should have both a cam and crank sensor in it. The "decoder wheel" has 360 slits for crank speed, and one slit for cylinder number one cam position. I'm thinking there are three smaller slits for the other cylinders. These three signals combined give you all you need for cam and crank position, and crank speed. The only thing you are missing is a true crank position, ie a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crankshaft itself. Also, if you do indeed get the hardware to run sequential fuel injection, well then you already have the hardware for coil on plug.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

Thanks, guess I am not doing a good job of explaining what i am looking for :D

yes, the distributor I have does have both a crank sensor adn a cam sensor but it also has the distributor parts in it.

here are a couple of pictures of what i am looking for vs what i have..

Thanks for the help!
Attachments
cas.jpg
cas.jpg (66.91 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
dist.jpg
dist.jpg (76.71 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Distributor parts in the mechanical-distributor sense? Now I'm confused. The ECU should be doing all the timing adjustment with the KA.

Top photo is what looks like the SR CAS for coil-on-plug. The bottom photo looks like a KA CAS with rotor inside the cap, but not actual distributor. I could show you a photo of a similar piece on the SR (S13 SR20DE with side-feed cap, but no distributor parts inside). Aside from the cap for wires and rotor inside, the SR and KA pieces are likely very similar.

Now, if you're looking for a KA CAS without the cap for plug wires, I don't think that exists, but should just be an appearance thing since internally they should be similar.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

By "Distributor Parts" I mean the parts that distribute the spark. e.g. the cap, rotor and tower the rotor mounts to. All I need is the CAS and the uhh CAS (Crank and cam angle sensors) so I do not want to have the cap and rotor there doing nothing. Yes, this is entirely an appearance thing. I could simply wire the ECU to the stock KA unit and not connect any plug wires but that is not the look I am going for. Another option would be to mount a trigger wheel to the crank and build a mount for a trigger then do the same for the cam this would be the best option but is a lot more work so in the interests of actually getting the car done at some point I am planning to do this later.
I might end up just hacking the current stuff up and making a cover for it like i did for the L/Z in the yellow car but as you point out many of the nissan setups are similar so I thought there might be a ready made solution available like using some of the guts and cover from another setup etc..
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Gotcha. I haven't seen a similar setup for the KA as is on the SR coil-pack CAS. I recently gave away a KA cap, else I'd compare it with the SR CAS and see if they bolt together - would then figure the SR CAS cap will bolt to the KA CAS sans rotor.
Unclejesse

Post by Unclejesse »

I'm fairly confident I've seen pictures somewhere of a cover that was fabricated. Say a plate of aluminum or something. You may have to trim the shaft down, but I bet you could then just make a piece to bolt on, just like the guys do on the L engines to cover up the distributor opening in the timing cover

Edit: Then you could polish it up all chrome like too
Rubhamusan

Post by Rubhamusan »

If I recall.the only way would be use aem ems and cbr coil packs while either using the crank angle on the tranny or making a enclosed cap for the dizzy and using the cam angle functions and just have a bump for a dizzy.Ivan at AMS built a 800hp ka using that same setup as discribed and if you were not going turbo then maybe go itb with a map sensor.aem is the way to go on ka's.

A sr would be a easier to do.use cas ecu and injectors from a turbo and use high comp pistons even go ITB with a power fc djetro.
Rubhamusan

Post by Rubhamusan »

Here it is
http://www.amsperformance.com/ivan_240sx.php

Honda CBR 600F4i coils
MSD DIS4 Plus
Denso Iridium IK24 plugs

I bet a sr cas cap would bolt onto a ka dizzy.
also all the ka stuff is s14 version.