Mercruiser 470

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
'68falconohio

Mercruiser 470

Post by '68falconohio »

Hey guys, I'm still lurkin' around, reading about 510s when I have spare time. Not sure if this is right place to post, but this topic came up on another forum I hang out on and I did a quick search here and didn't see it mentioned. It's an aluminum block 3.7L four banger that accepts a big block ford(460) cylinder head so aftermarket aluminum heads are available. I guess they can be stroked and poked to 274cubes(4.5L???) I would assume that to be a max effort, high dollar, build. You guys ever heard of them?
-Stephen

'68 Falcon-DD
TUF510

Re: Mercruiser 470

Post by TUF510 »

aren't they usually fitted to Boats? That's um probably why it hasn't been mentioned here.

Fj20ET are known to be the best boat anchor engine for the 510 :D
Some Boost in my FJ is good....More is better!!! :D
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

'68falconohio wrote:I would assume that to be a max effort, high dollar, build. You guys ever heard of them?
In a 510? No. The description seems to be that of a tractor engine, or something else built for torque. Higher-rpm breathing is going to be restricted by two-valve heads, given the volume of each bore.

Might take max effort and high dollars to build it, but what you'd end up with probably wouldn't garner high dollars on the selling end of things. That'd be a right bastard swap. Into a Vega, maybe?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

it would make a great 510 Tractor puller Hybrid ! It would definatly be a one of a kind. Might have to beef up the trailer hitch a bit tho.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

170-185 hp @ under 5K. The aluminum block itself weighs only 85 lbs. 8.8 compression and uses a Chev bell bolt pattern.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs