Motor Decisions

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Zeke50F3

Motor Decisions

Post by Zeke50F3 »

Hi, I'm new to the Datsun world and I've got a 68 510 that I was thinking about starting as a project and I'm trying to figure out what motor I want to put in it. I was thinking about a GM V-6 because they're easy to work on and parts are cheap, but I would like to go with a Nissan motor if I find one. I would prefer a V-6 but an I-4 would work. I was wondering what vehicles I could pull motors out of that would require the least amount of work to swap. I would like a carburated engine with a distributor (no electronic ignition preferably) and a manual transmission. Although I love fuel injection and electronic ignitions I simply don't have the time or money to spend messing with computers so the simpler the better. If I could get a few Nissan models and years that would work that would be great.

Thanks
Zeke
Byron510

Re: Motor Decisions

Post by Byron510 »

Zeke50F3 wrote: ...Although I love fuel injection and electronic ignitions I simply don't have the time or money to spend messing with computers so the simpler the better....
I think you answered your own question - simple, just install an L20B (2L) from a mid 70's Datsun sedan of PU - it'll bolt in with the L16 motor mounts, re-core the stock rad because it probably needs it - hoses will be stock and buy or rebuild the carburetion of your choice (stock 2BBL, Webber 2 bbl, twin side draft SU or all out 2X twin choke Webber/Mikuni's) with an electronic Nissan ignition. That's about as simple as it gets, should get you between 120- 150 HP and reliable as anything you could think of.

Just saying, that's simple, no messing around! And you'll be driving it which is way better than any RAD project - which doesn't move (there are a lot of those here!):D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

the best motor swap is a running motor swap, right?
Zeke50F3

Post by Zeke50F3 »

Awesome, so pretty much any 4 cylinder from a 70's datsun should work? How about older Nissans?
Also, whats the after market like for these engines are there a lot of parts available, or do I have to make sure that everything I have is in good enough shape to use?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Don't confuse a crank angle sensor with a breakerless electronic ignition, they are apples and oranges different. The L series runs both points and breakerless depending on the year and can be swapped to the years that it wasn't available on. A CAS is used with an EFI ECU to fire the plugs.

Best bet is the larger L20B (2 liter) motor. It was in '74 or '75 and up Nissan 610/710 and 620 trucks, and in the one year only '80 720 truck. As it's an L series it will bolt right in. Well if it's a truck motor you will need to swap your L16 oil pan and pick up onto it.

If building a motor you might want to max-n-match Nissan parts to make a hybrid 2.2 liter L motor.

You might also consider a good truck or 280zx 5 speed swap also. If you went with a gm or Nissan V6 or some later 4 cylinder motors you would have had to use a different tranny and mod the mount and driveshaft anyway.

Parts availability? Well anything can be had for a price, but there are lots of good deals on here or other Datsun forums but it takes time.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
James

Post by James »

L series engines are common enough that a lot of parts are available through outside manufacturers. Basic wear/tune up parts are readily available. Cylinder heads, manifolds etc are getting scarcer - but can be found through resources like the realm. Very reliable engine once set up well.
Finished is better than perfect......
Braden620

Post by Braden620 »

GO WITH AN L SERIES, I think we can all agree that putting a non nissan engine into a 510 would ruin it. L20's are cheap, easy to work on, and plentiful. go for it