L16, L18, L20B What can I do?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Headhunter

L16, L18, L20B What can I do?

Post by Headhunter »

1970 4 door 510 what do I do
My name is Cisco I am a 43, i have some questions and i thought maybe u guys can help
this 510 came with an L16 I want to put an L20B will it bolt up to my original automatic transmission?
My objective is to put the biggest 4 cylinder with 0 or no modification to the engine install.
I am not looking for a race car just a little more power really looking forward to saving money on gas and sporting the car.
If I have to I will just rebuild the L16......
Anything u gays can do would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.....
First time owner of a 510 and need LOTS OF HELP!!!
Byron510

Re: L16, L18, L20B What can I do?

Post by Byron510 »

Headhunter wrote: ...this 510 came with an L16 I want to put an L20B will it bolt up to my original automatic transmission?
My objective is to put the biggest 4 cylinder with 0 or no modification to the engine install....
A couple of questions are here; anything bigger than an L18 will require you to find a 6 bolt flex plate to bolt up to your auto box –
…so that aside…

You could go up to 2400 CC’s using the right combination of L motor parts mixed with later NapsZ blocks – see Jason Grays’ L motor combo list for details. I have run and build many LZ2.2 motors – consisting of U67 cylinder heads from 75 to 77 L20B motors and the 2200cc NapsZ blocks from either 720 PU’s (S block which uses the same rod at the L20B) or the 81-83 200SX (E block with longer rods and the pin located a bit higher in the piston). The L20B and Z22 blocks are dimensionally identical. You should match up and drill the water holes in the top of the block to match the L20B head, but this isn’t rocket science and can easily be done with a 3/8 electric drill. The L20B will bolt to your auto trans, with the right flex plate. You’ll use the 510 oil pan and pick up and motor mount. You should slot the holes in the motor mount to drop it about 1/8” closer to the front X member so that there is enough hood clearance for the valve cover. Note: your stock carb – if so equipped, will have clearance issues with the air cleaner because of the added height.

The Z24 bottom end has both more bore and stroke with 17mm more block height. A custom timing chain (Mercedes Benz modified is the usual method) will be required as will some welding to the front cover (you need to make that L front cover 17mm taller!). You will also need to fiddle with motor mounts, and possibly spacing the front X member downwards to get this under the 510 hood. See air cleaner issue above. But hey – 2400 cc’s before you go crazy and bore the hell out of the thing!

Just saying – much more to the build, but there are the basics – you asked! :D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Braden620

Post by Braden620 »

the 2.4 build will be cool however time consuming and expensive. Im not sure exactly how the l20b bolts up to your l16 tranny but it is my understanding that all l series bell housings are the same. If you need an auto 6 bolt flexplate then ive got you covered, and if you need a like new l20b auto tranny i have one of those as well. The l20b would be your best bang for you buck, and in the least amount of time. It should also bolt up with minimal if any modifications. but then again if you have the time, the money and the know how an lz24 with dual carbs would be awesome, but dont expect fuel mileage!!!! I got 18mpg with my l20b standard bore with an isky cam, open chamber head, and dual 44's
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Headhunter wrote:1970 4 door 510 what do I do
My name is Cisco I am a 43, i have some questions and i thought maybe u guys can help
this 510 came with an L16 I want to put an L20B will it bolt up to my original automatic transmission?
My objective is to put the biggest 4 cylinder with 0 or no modification to the engine install.
I am not looking for a race car just a little more power really looking forward to saving money on gas and sporting the car.
If I have to I will just rebuild the L16......
Anything u gays can do would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.....

L16 would be the best mileage. L20B the most performance for a larger motor with basically zero mods to install. You can mix and match L16/L20B parts to get it in but yes you will need the 6 bolt flex plate. Any L20B flex plate should work but no L20B automatic will fit your car as they will all be too long.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

Thank you Byron510
For all the knowledge, but I don't have the money to do all the Mods required for this swap.
Braden620 thank you for your input, How much do you want for your auto 6 bolt flex plate?
Datzenmike short and sweet Thank you
I am thinking maybe I built the L16 and put a mild cam maybe bore out the block surface the heads and see what kind of mpg I get.
I also have 3 sets of carbs a set of webers, delartos and Mikunis not sure on spelling, got these when I was in high school I had a 79 datsun pick up. What set up will give me better mpg? If none then back to the closet they go.....
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

When it comes to carbs, the best compromise between power and mpg is the weber 32/36 DGV. Its also easy to tune and dead reliable once set up. You can still get them new c/w adapter plates. Used ones are out there cheap, but be prepared to have to rebuild them. Seach member 'bigjim5551212' for his posts on the weber DGV's
1972 Yellow 4dr
Headhunter

Post by Headhunter »

510-Trevor wrote:When it comes to carbs, the best compromise between power and mpg is the weber 32/36 DGV. Its also easy to tune and dead reliable once set up. You can still get them new c/w adapter plates. Used ones are out there cheap, but be prepared to have to rebuild them. Seach member 'bigjim5551212' for his posts on the weber DGV's
I have the 36 webers I will try these thanks Trevor......