Honda engine swap into a 510 ?

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
freakonaleash

Honda engine swap into a 510 ?

Post by freakonaleash »

Hey there guys. I may be looking into a 510 again, but im not big on nissan engines. I was thinking a d series honda motor would be cool but im not sure about adapting it to a nissan transmission..Obviously it would need crazy mounts fabbed and stuff like that, but has anyone heard of a honda motor being swapped into a 510, and not the S2000 motor ?
71pl510SanDiego

Re: Honda engine swap into a 510 ?

Post by 71pl510SanDiego »

s2000 motor has been done all ready, its an expensive swap to say the least
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

you can't be that into Hondas...
their FWD engines turn the wrong direction. you'd have the fastest 510 going backwards.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

The guys that road race Honda FWD engines as RWD have to flip the ring gear to the opposite side of the pinion. It requires a special R&P for reverse rotation engines to keep the pinion gear load is in the right direction.

Could be interesting to have a QC on a street car, gear for go at the autocross or hill climb, then just flip the spur gears over for highway cruising. Don't expect it to be quiet though. Those straight cut spur gears whine like a 671 blower.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH
cosmo1stgen

Post by cosmo1stgen »

It is true that all the old honda engine platforms H,B,D series spin the wrong way. But the S2000 motor and I believe most of the newer if not all the K series spin the (right) way. On top of that the s2000 is already rwd so you already have the transmission. This swap has been done more than a few times and I believe that there are photos here on the realm. Problem is most s2000 motor and transmission sets will cost double or more than what you would pay for an sr20det with transmission.