mystery object in my oil pan

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
RonM
Supporter

mystery object in my oil pan

Post by RonM »

So I was installing a new oil pan today on my SR20DET, (not yet running) and I found this little metal object in the bottom of the old pan. It's about 3/8" wide / diameter and 1/4" tall. Looks like it sustained an impact on one side. Can anybody identify it?
Attachments
mysteryObject.jpg
mysteryObject.jpg (34.83 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
MysterObject2.jpg
MysterObject2.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 3461 times
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: mystery object in my oil pan

Post by two_68_510s »

L series lash pad

In an SR oil pan?? :?: :!: :shock:
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
510rob

Post by 510rob »

An old unused L-series mRNA transcription? Is your SR-series trying to turn itself into an L-series? Cool!

(looks like an L-series lash pad to me too.)
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Regressive genetic mutation? you mean I need a biologist not a mechanic . It's not an SR lash pan, but it looks different than an L series too. The notch in the bottom is a different size. First pict is SR second is L
Attachments
Tomei-lashpad-kit.jpg
Tomei-lashpad-kit.jpg (19.54 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
l-series-engine-lash-pad-99996-m1xxx.jpg
l-series-engine-lash-pad-99996-m1xxx.jpg (14.9 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

On the SR, every other shim is notched. The other shim is the one that is swapped when adjusting lash. You want them to have the same lash. So yeah, that's an SR shim in yer pan. Look on top of your valvestems under the rocker arm. Good thing you found that before you ran the motor.
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

johnbureezu wrote:On the SR, every other shim is notched. The other shim is the one that is swapped when adjusting lash. You want them to have the same lash. So yeah, that's an SR shim in yer pan. Look on top of your valvestems under the rocker arm. Good thing you found that before you ran the motor.
Thank you very much John, Do you think this lash lad coming out could be a product over revving the motor? It came with I Mines ECU that had the rev limit razed to 8K. Judging by the large chip in the side it wasn't just politely removed and dropped down the front cover. I'm hoping someone did the valve work already and just lost track of that one. I'm pulling the valve cover today, so we'll see.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

It's a trip that the SR uses similar technology as the L series, corporate DNA I suppose.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

It may have been lost and replaced long ago. Good idea to check anyway.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

I took the valve cover off today and inspected the valve assembly with a fine tooth comb. Everything is in it's place, and looks fine. I'm guessing there was some work done, and the shim was left behind. Still not sure how the chip got there?