Datsun 510 KA to SR swap

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Grajeda

Datsun 510 KA to SR swap

Post by Grajeda »

I have everything set up already to put a KA24de in my 510, but i have a chance to get a sr20det at a really good price and was wondering what else would be needed to put the sr20 in? besides a roll cage, brakes, making the rear end except 3 or 2.5 exhaust, radiator

Ive reed but not sure about....
-Center steering link hiiting?
-turbo manifold hiiting steering box and needing to use a top mount manifold?
-would it be possible to use the stock r160 diff? even with a ka24
-custom innercooler pipping? (ill probebly end up using one of those small 10x10 inner coolers)
-i was guna use stock 510 motor mounts for the ka so the engine sits lower and handles better, would stock ones work for a sr?(im thinking yes)
Or any other things?

thanks in advance
Grajeda

Re: Datsun 510 KA to SR swap

Post by Grajeda »

I would like to thank dennis from ratsun.net

I have everything set up already to put a KA24de in my 510, but i have a chance to get a sr20det at a really good price and was wondering what else would be needed to put the sr20 in? besides a roll cage, brakes, making the rear end except 3 or 2.5 exhaust, radiator
You do not need a roll cage unless you drive like a maniac or you are looking for extra safety. I will be running mine later on down the road. Brakes should be done for either motor, if you are running stock 510 brakes get ready for an accident. You can run a 3" or 2.5" exhaust on SR if you plan to mod the SR then shoot for the 3". The radiator is going to be different because the upper neck is on a different side than the KA.

Shouldnt hit if you are running 620 motor mounts.

You can run a top mount or a more forward mounted bottom mount like on mine.

No, both engines will kill it when you are hard on it. You can drive it if you are easy on it with both motors.

-custom innercooler pipping? (ill probebly end up using one of those small 10x10 inner coolers)
Depends on the intercooler you want to run, most people run a too large of an intercooler.

-i was guna use stock 510 motor mounts for the ka so the engine sits lower and handles better, would stock ones work for a sr?(im thinking yes)
No, you will hit the center link, this is why you should run 620 motor mounts.

I would say do what you want with your 510, if you ultimately want a SR then do it. Sure it might set you back a few days, months, etc... But if you really want it and you can afford it then why not.
dyl510

Post by dyl510 »

If you're worried about the centre link hitting you can get it professionaly heated/bent/cooled for a fair price, or hit up MadDat or DatSport and buy a pre-bent one... keep in mind they don't always have Left-hand-drive centre links kicking around but you can always send yours to them, both of which are in Australia but it doesnt end up being as expensive as it sounds!

Every SR swap I've seen and the one I've done has needed a top mount turbo manifold, you can pick one up on ebay for pretty cheap (I think it's listed specifically for the SR in a 510). It fits clearance wise, but if you're planning on using the stock SR turbo you will have to rotate the compressor housing and play with the manifold flanges to get it to fit (I had to use 2 flanges from the manifold to the head). You will also need to make up a mount for your stock wastegate actuator once you rotate the compressor housing.

I wouldn't recommend the stock R160, you can pick up an open R180 for around $600-$800 and it will handle the power. However if you're planning on doing one-tire-fires around every corner you will probably need something stronger... could fork up the cash for an LSD R180... $1200-$1500? You can use stock rear axles, I hear they're good up to around 280-300HP unless you plan on dumping the clutch with some sticky tires.

Intercooler piping is up to you, I know lots of guys using mild steel piping instead of aluminum... for those without a tubing bender or who can't weld aluminum, the boost air is dry and not likely to rust out the mild steel. Aluminum is obviously looks better and is better for getting rid of heat, but if you're running a well mounted intercooler then you won't notice the difference.

If you modify the centre link. Stock 510 motor mounts worked for me, you can still buy them at any parts store.

The SR swap is fairly straight forward, but lots of mock up as it does get tight for clearance in places. Keep in mind you would have to upgrade your fuel system. Lots of guys enlarge the ports coming from the stock 510 fuel tank and run a low pressure pump to "suck" the gas out of the tank, and then they use a high pressure inline pump to "push" the fuel at higher pressure to the motor. I used a completely stock 510 tank with a single high-pressure inline pump and it works just fine for me at around 40-60psi.

Other than that, the top mounted turbo will sit nice and close to your master cylinder... so you will have to shield it. The transmission tunnel/mount will have to be modified slightly (I made a new trans mount) and the driveshaft will have to be shortened.

PM me if you have any questions, I may not be the biggest SR geek on here but I've gone through the do's and do not's of this swap.

Cheers!
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

Grajeda wrote:I have everything set up already to put a KA24de in my 510, but i have a chance to get a sr20det at a really good price and was wondering what else would be needed to put the sr20 in? besides a roll cage, brakes, making the rear end except 3 or 2.5 exhaust, radiator

Or any other things?

thanks in advance
-You don't have to have a roll cage unless you're planning on racing or driving like a complete maniac

-My steering link only hit at complete full lock, it wasn't a problem

-Ron Davis makes a radiator that will fit, can't remember the part number off the top of my head, search around, you'll find it

-If you're going with a top mount exhaust manifold, get the one from http://www.treadstoneperformance.com

-Yes you can use the stock diff, you'll be spinning one tire through at least second gear though. And you will rip it out really easily

-The intercooler piping will have to be custom, no doubt about that one.

-The stock motor mounts WILL work, but I would get the poly ones made by.... Hell I can't remember that either, someone on here would know.

Look through my old build page, it's under project builds and is titled "my '72 sr20 project". You'll find a ton of your answers on there if you read through it thourghly, a lot of answers people won't take time to research and answer.
Ottawa510
Supporter

Post by Ottawa510 »

Is this the top-mount manifold from Treadstone you suggest?
http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/pr ... o+Manifold
Thanks,