13B Rotary, L20B I4, 4G52B I4

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
PdidD25

13B Rotary, L20B I4, 4G52B I4

Post by PdidD25 »

Just asking what are the ups and downs of each and pitching some questions that may help get the gears turning a little bit.

Heard the rotary is temperamental whenever tweaked, it's concept is amazing [very little (if any) drag], lightweight. Torque? Power is incredible for an engine with 2 "pistons." Can it be carbureted? I kinda lean toward carbs since they're simple and don't necessarily require a "computer." Also, I'm kind of leaning towards this just because it's a rotary and I think they're pretty snazzy. :)

L20B is definitely better than stock L16 so kind of the same questions. Would like to have it carbureted if I were to swap to it but would anyone know of how to apply a turbo system to a carbureted engine?

4G52B is a 2.0L I4 engine from a 1980 Dodge D50. Have one sitting on the side of the house. My dad's first car I think. Had the truck often raced after tweaking it here and there in the engine bay. Been told it's "race-tuned" but since I haven't tried it and don't have much know-how, can't really tell unless I dyno'd it or something of the likes.

Thanks gents for any and all input, you're awesome. :D
James

Re: 13B Rotary, L20B I4, 4G52B I4

Post by James »

Julian on the dimequarterly blog is in the process of turbocharging an L20 with an SU carb. He has done a nice write up on it.
Finished is better than perfect......
PdidD25

Post by PdidD25 »

Thank you. I have heard of the DQ, haven't subscribed yet, will when I can afford it around December.

Am leaning toward the L20 since it would be easiest to install, but does anyone else know much about the rotary? would it upset the Dime's balance? any other bits or chunks of knowledge one can share? Thanks again.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

if you cant afford to get the dq news letter you should stick with a l series it willg et you on the road the soonest and if you ever want to part with the dime most people will not want one with a g52b. there are a few write ups on rotory swap's just google it
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
spoolinitup33

Post by spoolinitup33 »

PdidD25 wrote: Power is incredible for an engine with 2 "pistons." Can it be carbureted?
Rotoray engines don't have "pistons". And yes, there are carbureted rotoray engines.