L28et 510

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
James

Re: L28et 510

Post by James »

Brock had an 8 in datzilla......
Finished is better than perfect......
gordongordon

Post by gordongordon »

I don't get on this forum much. I signed up 4 yrs ago to try to buy something from the classifieds. The car is running and driving but still needs work. I got some wicked bump steer so I may be trying a rack swap soon.
Attachments
IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG (54.95 KiB) Viewed 3697 times
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Will you have room for that? I would think the header takes up most of the space down there. It doesn't look like the car is lowered all that much, so I'm assuming it's not as easy as adding a space. Is the bump steer from the added weight? I'll bet trying to turn that wheel take some serious upper body strength too. Have yo looked into something like this electric steering. Rich (aka Goich1) used something like this on one of his cars. check out his thread here. http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=945
Attachments
Elect.steer.jpg
Elect.steer.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
gordongordon

Post by gordongordon »

I flipped the idler, pitman, and tie rod arms to the front of the axle to get more room. I had to make new mounts and shorten the center link. I expect that is what is causing the bump steer. I already have a 240 and a 280 rack and a 280 front crossmember. Just need the rack clamps which I'm keeping an eye out for or I have to make them. Getting a straight shot to the steering column will be the hardest part.
Bubbamatt

Post by Bubbamatt »

There are few V8 510s around as it isn't a simple buy a kit, bolt in type of swap. It depends on what you are trying to do with the car, drag racing, street, track days, or just to play with BMW and Porsche drivers. I have 40,000 miles on my 510 V8 and it is a daily go to work and fun autocross car. The Chevy V8 is wide and heavy (unless you get the aluminum version $$$) with the distributor at the back of the motor, making working on it a challenge. I used a Ford 5.0 as the motor is 17" wide at the exhaust flange , which makes the exhaust and steering problems not so bad. The rear suspension is a modified Corvette with Koni Coil over racing shocks, Wilwood brakes, etc. etc. The car was built in my back yard over an 8 year period, so it ain't simple, but worth it if you know what you are trying to build.
Here are some pics:
Interior with Autopower roll cage: :D
Autocrossing in San Diego:
The car runs well, handles well, and is a blast to drive. A bit heavy at 2700 lbs, but the 51% front and 49% rear weight distribution helps the handling.
Enjoy the ride! :mrgreen:
Matt G.
RonM
Supporter

Post by RonM »

Matt,

Nicely done Man! Thanks for posting a successful V8 dime here. There were rumors spreading that such a thing didn't exist. Another myth put to rest. :P
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.
TipTricky

Post by TipTricky »

Hoping to get mine done soon Chevy 327 every one here and over on the Ratsun forum give me nothing but grief for this swap
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

And for good reason.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson