KA24DE help in Los Angeles????

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
oaklandsyd

KA24DE help in Los Angeles????

Post by oaklandsyd »

Having some really strange issues with my swap, which has been mostly perfect for 1 year/10,000 miles.... idle is crazy, now its not starting properly (turned it on as normal, let it run for 5 minutes, went to check the IACV, it shut off and then wouldn't restart, sounded like it was struggling to get enough power off the battery. All I did was stick my hand back by the IACV....)

I can't figure this one out and work 8-8, so I have no time....

Anyone know of a shop in the LA area that works on 510's / KA24 motors?? Please help if you know anyone!!!!

Thanks!
okayfine
Supporter

Re: KA24DE help in Los Angeles????

Post by okayfine »

Look at wiring around your IACV, you could have a short.

"LA" is too big of an area, especially if your car doesn't run.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Well, I am in LA proper, as in the middle of town. Is there anyone in the greater or lesser area? I need something... because if its starting consistently again I'm driving it straight to a shop.... no matter how far it is (other than McKinney in SD...)

I'll check for shorts. I thought it could be that or a grounding issue. It was VERY strange and has never happened before (and I've worked on that damned IACV a lot).
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Do you have the cold-start valve and the IACV installed and hooked up? Some people don't have one or the other. In any case, a borked IACV wouldn't prevent the car from starting, but would from idling, unless you cracked the throttle old-school style.

That it acted weird then the engine died would suggest a more serious electrical malady. Check fuses? ECU light works correctly?

You may also want to try pulling codes from your ECU. One of the big benefits of running an EFI setup.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

I pulled the IACV & Regulator this weekend to clean them up. I also sprayed some Throttle cleaner into the throttle body. All I went to do last night was check things and try to resolve the idling issue beyond just cleaning (getting the multimeter on them)....didn't even get that far.

After I posted this last night, I went back out and it sputtered briefly while cranking, then picked right up and started as if there wasn't a problem. This morning, went back out to check it, and it did the same thing. Sounds like a short or poor grounding. But I'll run through the elec. tonight (I hope).

Like I said....I'm trying to check things as I can, but am handcuffed by free time and daylight. Probably best to take it in if possible (as I am now at the hands of friends and public transit to get to work.)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

While I know of a few shops in the greater LA area (middle of town doesn't help, Northridge or Hollywood - they're all City of LA), I don't know the quality of their work, or if they're interested in something like a self-swapped 510. You'd be in for hours of diagnostic just for them to figure out how you did something.

Did you wire in the CONSULT port?
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

thats what i figured...no one like Dan Gallmeister or Troy Ermish down here? Why the hell did I move then! haha

I guess its on me to find the issue. I'll run through the culprits and eliminate things one by one (which was the original plan before this odd starting crap!). I'll post any more clues as I find them.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

CONSULT or OBD ECU flashes will help.
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Call Gwan at TRS Racing in Marina del Rey, he's on Glencoe (?) between Venice and Washington... I think it's 310 398 1068.
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Really? nice. I work super close to Marina Del Ray....thanks for the heads up.
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Aftermarket TPS connector was....aftermarket to say the kindest. Ground wire wasn't connecting, and somehow that caused the car to die.

No other codes and Autozone doesn't rent OBD1 scanners.

Still having weird idle issues, but I'm gonna take it to Gwan and see if he can figure it out. Thanks!
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

if it is a low idle i have the same issue with my ka, i just have never looked into it
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

High Idle (at 1000 currently, was at 800 until last week.), and it pulses on its own. When I pull up to lights and pop into neutral, it sort of sticks at 1500 for a while before dropping to to normal again...

I wish it was a low idle.... TPS checks normal, IACV shit seems fine (I cleaned it even) but I can't check it without an OBD scanner. ...

If ever I figure it out, I'll post it....

What's up with yours? Or is it not really a major issue?
q-tip

Post by q-tip »

im thinking its an iacv issue, just isnt a big enough problem for me to tear it apart and look into it. i have to sooner or later though. you issue is very interesting, i dont know what it could be without a scanner either. i will check mine ans see what the scanner tells me, i have to get ahold of the guy i know with one first
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
oaklandsyd

Post by oaklandsyd »

Back to the great exploration, a year and a half later...

I've been checking and fixing things to get her ready to run on a road trip again, and am still running into the same semi-issue of the thing just not idling perfectly and running a bit rich with some minor backfiring here and there (otherwise it runs like a champ).

So I recently bought all new emissions parts (IACV, AAC, O2, TPS, etc). All are within FSM specs. Sprayed the whole motor down with carb cleaner while running to find and fix any minor vacuum issues, it's pulling about 25 inHg.

No matter what I do, I CANNOT get the IACV to adjust idle down to 750. Fully closed it's at 1200. Fully open idle goes up from there. Reconnect the TPS it idles fine at 750ish.

Am I making more of this than I should be? Am I missing something here?