38/46 mm SU adapter plate

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Sealik

Re: 38/46 mm SU adapter plate

Post by Sealik »

I believe this is the correct config...regarding that 3rd hole...(atmosphere pressure port?)

Maybe... :D
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

OK, I need to insert a word of warning here.
I see the air cleaner base bolted to the carb - this is fine but you MUST lock wire that bolt. It very well could back out, and then it will get ingested right into the carb. We've all heard of this, but the guy that bought my nice light green 68 from me years ago HAD this happen to him after he took off the side drafts, installed his own SU's and has similar air cleaners mounted the same way (minus the air horns which I do like). the result? It bent valves, broke a piston, scored the block, bent a rod, pounded the crap out of the head and generally destroyed the motor - all because he didn't lock wire these things in.

Again, just a friendly warning...because I don’t want to see this happen to anyone else.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

Byron510 wrote:OK, I need to insert a word of warning here.
I see the air cleaner base bolted to the carb - this is fine but you MUST lock wire that bolt. It very well could back out, and then it will get ingested right into the carb. We've all heard of this, but the guy that bought my nice light green 68 from me years ago HAD this happen to him after he took off the side drafts, installed his own SU's and has similar air cleaners mounted the same way (minus the air horns which I do like). the result? It bent valves, broke a piston, scored the block, bent a rod, pounded the crap out of the head and generally destroyed the motor - all because he didn't lock wire these things in.

Again, just a friendly warning...because I don’t want to see this happen to anyone else.

Byron

Yup...I was going to put some loctite on the threads.......lock wire?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'd mark and drill another hole to expose both pairs of vac. holes to atmo. Can't hurt.

It doesn't have anything to do with access to the dome piston lift pin. You wouldn't have any reason to access it from the inside of the air filter housing, and you can't really do so anyway.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

okayfine wrote:I'd mark and drill another hole to expose both pairs of vac. holes to atmo. Can't hurt.

It doesn't have anything to do with access to the dome piston lift pin. You wouldn't have any reason to access it from the inside of the air filter housing, and you can't really do so anyway.
I know there was no access to the dome piston lift pin from that hole......
I meant....If you look through that hole you can see the lift pin

Ahhh...just found pics of some after market horns...both holes are open
Shall heed your advice and open that 4th hole :D

Thanks...again :)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Sealik wrote:I know there was no access to the dome piston lift pin from that hole......
What we have here is failure...to communicate. :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

okayfine wrote:
Sealik wrote:I know there was no access to the dome piston lift pin from that hole......
What we have here is failure...to communicate. :lol:
Hmmmmmm...heard that before....somewhere.
Not sure if it was from Cool Hand Luke...or the ex.......... :lol:

Anywho....here you go

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Yeah, those were mine.
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

okayfine wrote:Yeah, those were mine.
For your 38 flat tops...?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Sealik wrote:
Byron510 wrote:OK, I need to insert a word of warning here.

Byron

Yup...I was going to put some loctite on the threads.......lock wire?
Yep, I'd be drilling a small hole through the heads of both socket head cap screws on each pair of carbs, and then lock wire each pair together. In this way, there is no way for those screws to back out, no matter what. It would be worth the effort, because for some reason carbs really shaken to death.

Looking forward to see this one all together. Could you bring it down for the spring show at the end of April?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Sealik wrote:For your 38 flat tops...?
Yes, back when I had my first wagon.
James

Post by James »

I wasn't up to speed on lock wire - so I found this. Explained a lot. Thought it was interesting.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8
Finished is better than perfect......
Sealik

Post by Sealik »

James wrote:I wasn't up to speed on lock wire - so I found this. Explained a lot. Thought it was interesting.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8

Yup...just watched that.....and was going to post that link :)

Guess I have no reason for a rats nest when I wire the bolts up... :lol: