ka24de swap question

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
swag510

ka24de swap question

Post by swag510 »

i been looking around about ka24de swap for the 510. I was wondering if there is a way to make 280zx bolt with ka24de engine? Thanks for help.
q-tip

Re: ka24de swap question

Post by q-tip »

i would think it would be similar to a 510 as in you need motor mounts and tranny mount, but with the zx it already has a 5 speed so may just need new holes drilled in it to mount tranny. then you have the oil pan, drive line and wiring. but you will need to here from the experts on this one
'72 4dr w KA24DE
'76 620 king cab
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
swag510

Post by swag510 »

thanks for reply guys,
I found this: http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/top ... l28e-5spd/
Still a bit lost with argument they had on forum confused me, :lol:
But looks like it might work
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

swag510 wrote:i been looking around about ka24de swap for the 510. I was wondering if there is a way to make 280zx bolt with ka24de engine? Thanks for help.
If you mean "will a 280zx 5 speed bolt up to a KA24DE engine" then just say so.

Yes it will bolt up perfectly all bolt holes line up. Will it work that way...not so well.

All L series engines are sitting about 12 degrees off vertical to the right and Z and KA engines sit an almost identical amount to the left when installed. This means that an L series transmission must rotate about 23 degrees to the left, or clockwise seen from the front, for the bolt holes to line up with the KA engine. Now, the shifter will be in the driver's hip. You would have to cut out sheet metal on the tunnel and bend the shifter 23 degree over to the right for it to look right. But it's worse... the rear body mount will be level but the transmission tilted and the rubber will never stretch that much. If you make a wedge shape shim the tailstock will have to lift a couple of inches to sit up on it and the driveshaft will be out of alignment and vibrate.

Below on the left is a L series 4 speed likely from a 510. Beside it is a Z series dogleg. Both are sitting level and you can see the rear mount problem on the dogleg. This is just to show the angles involved if using a Z or KA series transmission on an L series motor. You are talking about a KA on an L series transmission so the angle is the same but to the opposite side.

1/ The most elegant solution is to replace the 280zx transmission with the much stronger FS5W71C that came with the KA motors to begin with. Perfect fit and no angle problems and if you get one from a 4 cylinder D21 Hardbody the length should be close too.

2/ Failing that the FS5W71B from an '81-'86.5 2wd gas engine 720 truck will also work. Not as strong as the KA's 'C' type 5 speed but at least equal to the 280zx 5 speed. The 720 also had them in long (same as the 280zx length) and short.(same as the stock 510 4 speed so the driveshaft does not need shortening.

Here is a Z series (will also fit to the KA motor) short 26" 720 5 speed.

3/ last, but more work, is to get the front case half from a Z series or KA 5 speed and swap it onto the 280zx 5 speed. The front case will already have the mounting bolts in the proper orientation. Basically you are converting the L series transmission into a Z or KA transmission.

L series

Z or KA series
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
swag510

Post by swag510 »

Thanks you for answering couple questions for me, looks like just having ka transmission will be less problems. Thanks for the info datzenmike. :mrgreen:
Last edited by swag510 on 16 Jan 2012 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

No problem. It was a slow morning.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs