VG30i Rebuild Kit

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
iniazy

VG30i Rebuild Kit

Post by iniazy »

Hi guys,

I would like to know if there is any specific rebuild kit recommended for the VG30i engine. I have a VG30s, but I assume the block and internal components are the same as the i, so I want to buy a complete rebuild kit, including Pistons, Rods, and all gaskets/seals.

I found this kit on Ebay, for an amazingly low price, and was wondering if anyone would advise against buying it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-200SX-3- ... a8&vxp=mtr

I also found this kit, but seems like it doesn't come with the pistons:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/84-89-Nissan-Pi ... 0f&vxp=mtr

Problem is, there isn't a checklist of components included in the kit, so I'm relying on the pics only.

Thanks,
Ibrahim
Last edited by iniazy on 29 Jun 2012 06:51, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: VG30i Rebuild Kit

Post by okayfine »

I can't comment on that kit, but generally you'd like to see the parts be Made In Japan as much as possible. Generally better quality and fewer issues with fit. Sometimes we in the US can find brands that we know just rebox Japanese parts (Beck Arnley, for instance).

A place like rockauto.com will allow you to piece together a kit (they don't seem to offer a rebuild kit per-se) and let you choose the manufacturer of each component. More work, and you won't necessarily be able to get all Japanese that way either. And I don't know if RockAuto will ship to Saudi Arabia. Doesn't seem like much help, does it? :P

Is there not much availability of parts in your country?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510rob

Post by 510rob »

I just bought a Beck Arnley clutch master cylinder and it is/was made in Taiwan, but of decent quality, so even B/A can't always get what we want, but I'm sure they try sometimes and get us what we need.
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

okayfine wrote:I can't comment on that kit, but generally you'd like to see the parts be Made In Japan as much as possible. Generally better quality and fewer issues with fit. Sometimes we in the US can find brands that we know just rebox Japanese parts (Beck Arnley, for instance).

A place like rockauto.com will allow you to piece together a kit (they don't seem to offer a rebuild kit per-se) and let you choose the manufacturer of each component. More work, and you won't necessarily be able to get all Japanese that way either. And I don't know if RockAuto will ship to Saudi Arabia. Doesn't seem like much help, does it? :P

Is there not much availability of parts in your country?
A complete rebuild kit, no way. Our Nissan dealer is terrible, one of the worst, and the engine is very old now, so no way they will have one in-hand, and if they order it from Japan, they will be too expensive.

But no worries about shipping to Saudi, I have a forwarding US address, I just ship my orders to a US address.

I was attracted to the low price of the ebay kit; but I'll look at rockauto.com and see. Thanks for the help.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

510rob wrote:I just bought a Beck Arnley clutch master cylinder and it is/was made in Taiwan
Welp, there you go: the plural of anecdote is not data. RockAuto also, generally, gives pictures of the specific parts, so you sometimes use them to help verify part origination (enough wishy-washyness for you, Rob? :lol: ). Worked for me when I was looking for a screw-top fuel pump (that was a Beck Arnley but was really a reboxed Japanese OE pump).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
iniazy

Post by iniazy »

Ok, here is the list of components of the first kit, which seem to be quite complete, I don't know how it is sold for such a low price!
Full Gasket set
+ Graphite head gasket
+ Intake manifold gasket
+ Exhaust manifold gasket
+ Valve cover gasket
+ Viton valve stem seals
+ Camshaft front
+ O-rings
+ Front seal gasket
+ Rear seal gasket
+ Water pump gasket
+ Timing cover gasket
+ Other Small Gaskets
Oil Pump
Timing Belt Kit
+ 1 Timing Belt
+ 1 Tensioner
Pistons with Complete NPR Ring Set (made in Japan)
+ Pistons (We have Standard and oversizes: .50mm = .020" )
+ Complete Ring Set (We have Standard and oversizes: .50mm = .020" )
+ Press Pins (diameter: 20.00mm)

Compression Ratio: 9:1
Standard Diameter: 97.00 mm
1st Group: 1.50 mm
2nd Group: 1.50 mm
Oil Ring: 2.80 mm

Engine Bearings (Either from ACL or King)
+ Main Bearing Set (We have Standard and oversizes: .25mm = .010" or .50mm = .020")
+ Rod Bearing Set (We have Standard and oversizes: .25mm = .010" or .50mm = .020")
+ Thrust Washer