CA18ET

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
///FiveOneOh

CA18ET

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

Need some info on swapping a single slammer CA into a 510.

Now before anybody posts "the ca18et is weak" or "go with a DET" or "go with an SR" keep in mind I'm not asking about any of these motors.. I'm also not asking how good the CA is or should I do it.

What I AM looking for though is some CA info. Like:

did the SOHC ever come in a rear sump setup

Will the stock down pipe clear the steering box

Is there a way to loose the stupid 8 plug dizzy

So theres no confusion I'm talking about the crummy USDM 200SX turbo motor, not the JDM silvia/180SX one.

datzenmike
Supporter

Re: CA18ET

Post by datzenmike »

The CA is a NAPS motor and when you see NAPS you think anti pollution and how the dual plugs and EGR is holding this motor back. If you knew why the dual plugs are used you wouldn't dismiss the dizzy as 'stupid'. You want the dual plug per cylinder, even more so on a turbo motor. It's a great way to shorten the burn time, more complete/efficient combustion, reduce hot spots and run less advance. Basically a dual plug head is more detonation resistant. Take a look at those AA/Fuel cars, they modify the heads to have dual plugs.

You want more detonation resistance and power? This motor NEEDS an intercooler bad.

The CA18ET/CA20 was only a front sump in the 200sx, Stanza and Stanza Wagon.

Good choice BTW. The CA20 in FWD set up, weighs 268 pounds. Close to that of an L series motor but making 30% more power. I would definitely try to run an intercooler.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

ok so guess I'm flipping the xmember.

8 plugs.. 8 wires.. so ugly though. If it must be kept though I suppose I can deal w/ it. So damn ugly though! :lol:

not worried about getting much power outa the motor I just don't want it to blow up. think a top mount would fit under a 510 hood? Or am I looking at a new intake.. CA20 mani maybe?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Ugly (maybe) not stupid. :lol:

Top mount turbo? For steering box clearance? You'd have to make one.

The CA20E intake and throttle body faces forward on the 200sx but doesn't use a turbo.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

top mount intercooler
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

What? ... and cut the hood??? No way. Do it like everyone else.