VG30et

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: VG30et

Post by okayfine »

CVDatsun510 wrote:Well money isn't really an issue.
Money is always an issue. You're not just dealing with engine build costs, and 510 modification gets exponentially expensive the faster you want to go. This gets quadrupled when you're not doing all the work. You indicate prior ownership of Mitsu and Sube products - those cars had/have 100x the aftermarket support the 510 has today. Yes, you can buy the SR fit kit from Datsport, and that helps, but there's no catalog that you can order everything you need. And everyone does things differently, so there's no one build thread you'll follow - especially if you're not doing everything yourself (since most here do).

Yes, you can have family that have the tools and knowledge you need, but how often is your project going to be the priority build? If they have tools and knowledge, chances are they have their own projects. You suggest the car can sit (drivable) while you save, but how about it sitting inoperable in the middle of a long-term upgrade?
CVDatsun510 wrote:Realistically though, I'm looking to get 200-250 hp out of the engine.
If that's your goal and you have little mechanical knowledge that would enable you to build your own KA/T (as indicated above, the cheaper and just as effective route), then I'd suggest looking at the SR20DET. Factory stock at 200chp (or higher, in later versions), easy enough to get 250whp from it.
CVDatsun510 wrote:I just like to go fast and I thought I would try something "older" this time.
But, as indicated above, that's just the start. What you need to do to upgrade the rest of the car to handle 3x+ the HP is left the factory with is substantial. And while you didn't have major traction issues with the WRX, if you had any with the GS-T then imagine what it'll be like through a 45-year-old rear suspension design, even if it's driving the right wheels in comparison.

It would help to flesh out the rest of your goals and feasibility, but what you want isn't impossible. It's actually a fairly standard SR-type build, so there are plenty of project threads to read through. Check out Goichi's Coupe thread, for starters.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
CVDatsun510

Post by CVDatsun510 »

Oh I completely understand ill need to Change a whole lot with this car to support the engine, but that's the fun right? Getting to the desired goal. I think I'm going to go with the VG30E or DE and building that motor but the SR20DET was my original thought so its not out of the question. This project is going to take a few years as I have to save for part by part; I have a wife that won't let me spend tons of money on my car up front since we have 4 kids to take care of lol. I'm just trying to map out my road to speed lol
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

VG30E is going to be tough to get 200whp. Much easier with VG33. Better torque profile than the SR as well, but again that's a personal preference and you didn't suggest. /DE is still a nightmare. Better to buy a car with one in it and running, though there are few.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

sorry to thread jack...
mell00510 wrote:I'm only speaking from my personal experience....
400hp to the rear tires will keep the nose of the 510 ahead of most cars you encounter on the street!!!
At least in my neck of the woods. hehe :D
Sorry OK, if you were referring to me- I went the cheapest and easiest way, imo, turbo ka. I run 18psi and it's a mid 12 second car on street tires, lets me play with most the cars you see on the street.
My point was to only express the amount power needed to SPANK most of what you will run into on the street and open track days. It feels nice to scoot pass a Z06, in the straights :lol:
do you have a build thread somewhere? ratsun?
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Boost bug has bitten already, eh Finn?
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

It burns like a vinarial disease. Hopefully getting there isn't all the fun....
'69 2dr KA24DET
okayfine wrote:You could turn the car into a Transformer. Just a matter of money and talent. Front-hinge hood would be easier, but you still need money. And talent.
torqued

Post by torqued »

:Edit. WHoops didn't note the date sorry.

I am coming to the near end of my VG30et build and i tell you what.
I hated every moment of it.
Nothing has been bolt in, right down to my newly acquired front swaybar which fouls my cross over pipe.
My advice, if you go this path plan for headaches
IMG_0246.JPG
IMG_0246.JPG (176.58 KiB) Viewed 3888 times
finn
Supporter

Post by finn »

its coming along though! it'll all payoff when you take it on its first solid drive :twisted:
'69 2dr KA24DET
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

But you have endured, and for that you deserve credit my friend.
And as a bonus you kept us sort of in the loop along the way, and for that I thank you sir :wink:

Now all we need is the y tube vid with sound and motion 8)

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
broke

Post by broke »

Don't worry, I have it on good authority that this car will be road legal and running by this time next year
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked