VG30et

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
CVDatsun510

VG30et

Post by CVDatsun510 »

Couple of questions. 1. Will a Japanese spec VG30ET motor work with an American 280Z transmission? 2. what is the best year motor to get? 3. If a Japanese motor won't work, where is the best place to get an American motor? 4. what transmission is best to go with a VG30ET motor? I think that's it for now.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: VG30et

Post by okayfine »

CVDatsun510 wrote:Couple of questions. 1. Will a Japanese spec VG30ET motor work with an American 280Z transmission?
No difference really between a JDM VG30ET and a USDM version. Neither will bolt to an L-series trans.
CVDatsun510 wrote:2. what is the best year motor to get?
What's "best" mean?
CVDatsun510 wrote:3. If a Japanese motor won't work, where is the best place to get an American motor?
Aside from no one knowing where you live, what exactly are you looking for? You can pull one from a junkyard, you can buy one from someone parting a car on CL, you can buy a runner and use parts off the donor. Many ways to go, but with little information from you about your means and methods, no definitive answer.
CVDatsun510 wrote: 4. what transmission is best to go with a VG30ET motor? I think that's it for now.
The one it came with from the factory bolted to the engine. Why are you so concerned about the trans?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
CVDatsun510

Post by CVDatsun510 »

I just bought my 510. It has a 280z trans in it right now. My goal for the car is to make it a daily driver/road racer. I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row so I know how to proceed. I want the VG30ET motor so I'm just trying to learn how to go about doing that.
CVDatsun510

Post by CVDatsun510 »

By best year I mean what year is easiest to get into my car. Or does the year not truly matter?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Year's not going to matter in that case. Any VG/T is going to be less-than-easy to swap in, due to the turbo piping. You do have Dave's vg30.com fit kits to help get the block in, at least.

big-e-dog here on The Realm has put a VG/T in his 510. You can check his thread out to see what he did to solve the turbo piping issues.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
CVDatsun510

Post by CVDatsun510 »

I've decided to go with the VG30DE motor. Thanks okay fine for pointing out an article in the DQ about engine swaps. It's what helped me decide. Any pointers on where to get the engine and associated trans from as well as how to go about the install would be appreciated.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

CVDatsun510 wrote:I've decided to go with the VG30DE motor.
Are you sure about that? The /DE variant is a completely different beast from the /E. Huge, takes up the whole engine bay, and requires significant additional work over something like a KA. Very few have been swapped into 510s.
CVDatsun510 wrote: Thanks okay fine for pointing out an article in the DQ about engine swaps.
That said, bizarrely the VG/DE is the only engine swap DQ documented:

DQ Volume 1 Issue 2 - VG30DE Installation Guide : Part One - Does your 510 need more power? How about the twin-cam V6 out of the latest Z Car.

DQ Volume 1 Issue 3 - VG30DE Install Guide: Part Two - Does your 510 need more power? How about the twin-cam V6 out of the latest Z car.

DQ Volume 2 Issue 1 - VG30DE Installation Guide: Part Three - In this installment, we'll look at what is involved in getting the engine ready to run, including oil pan, intake and exhaust, cooling system, wiring, and fuel-system modifications.

Give those a read-through to see what you think about the swap afterward.
CVDatsun510 wrote:Any pointers on where to get the engine and associated trans from as well as how to go about the install would be appreciated.
Sourcing the VG/DE is the same as the VG/T. JY or parts car - they're not available new and there's no reason to import one. As for tips on the install, aside from the documentation above (which may or may not be enough to get you over the hump) and the information at www.datsuns.com, you're going to be on your own - there have been that few installs of the DOHC. Great engine, as Dave Lum makes the case for, but a heck of a lot of work.

I might suggest looking into the VG33. All the pros of easier fitment of the VG SOHC series engine, but closer to the power output of the /DE variant.
big_e-dog

Post by big_e-dog »

ok lets see......

CVDatsun510 wrote:Couple of questions.

1. Will a Japanese spec VG30ET motor work with an American 280Z transmission?

with a adapter plate and other shit.......cheeper to use a 71c

2. what is the best year motor to get?

"W" motors which are 87+ years then change the t25 to the older t3 turbo

3. If a Japanese motor won't work, where is the best place to get an American motor?

junkyard. vg30et's are hard to find but if its going in a 510 na-t would be better.... only difference in the 2 are the pistons and highflow oil pump. ive ran an NA vg30 boosted for a while in my maxima and it kept breaking clutches LOL!

4. what transmission is best to go with a VG30ET motor? I think that's it for now.
best.....handle more power....30A but its hard to find a 71c should be good tho

good luck. i would steer away from the vg30de its gonna be a pain in your ass LOL!
VG LOVE!!!
CVDatsun510

Post by CVDatsun510 »

Lol, seems like every time I pick something it's the wrong thing. Here's the easy question. What engine should I run? I'm not looking to take the car to the track. Street racing at the most but in reality a fast daily driver is my goal.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

KA24e/de or SR20det or VG30e. Depends on how deep your pockets are. KA or VG are your cheaper candidates. Take a look through some projects builds and you get an idea of the work involved for the swap. It will probably answer a few of your questions.

That's if you like factory EFI... You could always stay L and fiddle with carbs or EFI or turbo or whatever your heart desires.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

CVDatsun510 wrote:What engine should I run? I'm not looking to take the car to the track. Street racing at the most but in reality a fast daily driver is my goal.
Jordan gives quality advice. We can't really answer your question without a lot of additional detail on your part.

What's your budget for the whole shebang? Engine, plus fitting, plus cooling/fueling/etc. upgrades?
How handy are you with tools, fabrication, and making square pegs fit round holes?
With the understanding that even an SR20DET 510 is not going to be the fastest thing out there, exactly how "fast" are you wanting to be?

If there's a specific car out there you want to be faster than, then you need to look at power-to-weight ratios and go from there. Even then a modern car with equal power:weight is going to be faster due to limitations of the 510 ye' olde rear suspension, how much tire you can get back there, etc.
mell00510

Post by mell00510 »

I'm only speaking from my personal experience....
400hp to the rear tires will keep the nose of the 510 ahead of most cars you encounter on the street!!!
At least in my neck of the woods. hehe :D
Sorry OK, if you were referring to me- I went the cheapest and easiest way, imo, turbo ka. I run 18psi and it's a mid 12 second car on street tires, lets me play with most the cars you see on the street.
My point was to only express the amount power needed to SPANK most of what you will run into on the street and open track days. It feels nice to scoot pass a Z06, in the straights :lol:
Last edited by mell00510 on 22 Apr 2013 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
datzenmike wrote:Too bad about the fire wall. What does the V8 weigh?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Missing so much detail it's not even possible to relate that to the OP.
CVDatsun510

Post by CVDatsun510 »

Well money isn't really an issue. The 510 is my toy car so if sits while I save its no big deal, I'm not in a huge rush. As for tools and know how, I'm not that equipped however, I have family that is. What cars do I want to beat? As many as possible lol. Realistically though, I'm looking to get 200-250 hp out of the engine. I figure that should make the car pretty quick and fun to drive. I've had a 92 eclipse gst that was built and a 2005 Wrx that I also poured money into. I just like to go fast and I thought I would try something "older" this time.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

mell00510 wrote:Sorry OK, if you were referring to me- I went the cheapest and easiest way, imo, turbo ka.
Mainly I was suggesting that the engine is the least of the concerns when dealing with a 400hp 510. So much else needs upgrading, even just to get that power to the ground, that building a KA/T to that level is almost (almost) the easy part, since it's been done and documented so much with the 240SX crowd.