4.3L Lexus V-8 in a 72 2 door

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
qwik510
Supporter

Re: 4.3L Lexus V-8 in a 72 2 door

Post by qwik510 »

When I did a V8 swap into my 510 (many years ago) I used a Griffin Scirocco Radiator and cut the opening in the core support bigger to allow the radiator to move as close to the grill as possible. I removed the center support piece from the radiator support and my radiator was about 1/8" from the grill.

Here are some pics that might help.

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
SR20DAT

Post by SR20DAT »

Thanks for your response qwik510 and everyone elses suggestions. Your install looks pretty clean. What engine do you have installed in the pictures? The engine I have is 300 hp and 325 tq stock. I have quite a bit of tire in the back (275) but I am still a little worried about traction.

I hacked up my firewall some more and moved the engine back as far as I could. I figure it will help with weigh balance as well. I am not sure how much total clearance this will give me yet. Once I have the engine completely mounted and a radiator purchased, I will see if I need to modify the radiator support too.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

SR20DAT wrote:Thanks for your response qwik510 and everyone elses suggestions. Your install looks pretty clean. What engine do you have installed in the pictures? The engine I have is 300 hp and 325 tq stock. I have quite a bit of tire in the back (275) but I am still a little worried about traction.

I hacked up my firewall some more and moved the engine back as far as I could. I figure it will help with weigh balance as well. I am not sure how much total clearance this will give me yet. Once I have the engine completely mounted and a radiator purchased, I will see if I need to modify the radiator support too.

I started my swap back in 1991. That was the BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) and then later Rover 215CI 3.5 liter all aluminum V8.

it was only 215 HP and 225 torque but it was really light (only added 125 pounds) and fit without hacking the firewall. I was able to retain the heater, etc.

I did an LS1 swap into a 240Z as my next V8 swap. Traction was limited with that one to say the least.

Good luck with your swap.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
gooned

Post by gooned »

very interesting project! I had thought of doing a nissan V-8 in a wagon when I was younger :mrgreen: ....keep the progres reports coming and most importantly follow through :!:
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I would do what xlr said and cut and weld the coolant neck, looks like you can cut a lot out on the motor side, reweld the flange and then rework the part the connects to the hose, change the angle on that, you would gain over an inch or so I think. You might be able to mill the mounting surface of the water neck too and get a few mm's, when you are trying to gain clearance you have to take all you can get.
Attachments
water neck plan copy.jpg
water neck plan copy.jpg (154.06 KiB) Viewed 3190 times
SR20DAT

Post by SR20DAT »

goichi: Thanks for explaining what xlr was stating. That makes a lot of sense. I thought he meant to modify the bolted on piece. I will update more soon, but have been busy lately.