CA18 swap into 69 Wagon

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
JDMonster
Supporter

CA18 swap into 69 Wagon

Post by JDMonster »

Am I correct in saying the CA18DET can use the stock radiator in a 510. Atleast the inlet and outlets are on the correct sides. Also is it necessary to do a top mount manifold to clear the steering box?
icehouse

Re: CA18 swap into 69 Wagon

Post by icehouse »

Both those facts sound incorrect to me. CA is the same as a KA both hoses on the passenger side, L series has drivers top passenger bottom. SR turbo hits the box and I know the single cam CA hits the box so I'm sure the dual cam CA does.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

icehouse wrote:Both those facts sound incorrect to me. CA is the same as a KA both hoses on the passenger side, L series has drivers top passenger bottom. SR turbo hits the box and I know the single cam CA hits the box so I'm sure the dual cam CA does.
Trust this guy. He's helped me through many issues.
looking for pass. side arm rest
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

I wouldn't trust a stock radiator to more powerful engine as more heat will be produced, engine upgrade has to be paired up with better cooling system IMO.
Diego.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

While generally true as a rule, you could likely see adequate cooling from a three-row core on stock 510 tanks. I ran a stock three-row core with my SR20DS swap, and that same radiator would have been fine with the L20BT as well. My issues with that setup ended up being airflow and cooling fan flow issues, not the radiator itself.

Of course, these days you're probably less out of pocket buying the Champion aluminum radiator and making it fit.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

JDMonster wrote:Am I correct in saying the CA18DET can use the stock radiator in a 510. Atleast the inlet and outlets are on the correct sides. Also is it necessary to do a top mount manifold to clear the steering box?
Get a 'larger' rad. The stock rad should cool an L16 under extreme conditions of outside heat and engine load. How much more heat would a 170hp motor make?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs