gas fumes

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
68 Wagon

gas fumes

Post by 68 Wagon »

On my VG30e 72 510 the previous owner left the vent lines going to the evaporative system in the trunk hooked up. When I open the trunk I'm getting gas fumes coming from the canister. My question is; since this is an EFI system should not those lines be disabled and blocked off? I thought vacuum leaks were a no-no with EFI....? Car runs great the way it is except in the hot summer when it will just lose power and the cure is to pull over, let it idle for 30 seconds and then take off, the problem seemingly solved forever, or until it does it again "someday". Wonder if this gas tank vent is causing it?

The guy who put this car together is an air plane mechanic and he did an excellent install with attention to detail so I am reluctant to believe he overlooked something.

Thought I'd see what you guys thought......
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
68 Wagon

Re: gas fumes

Post by 68 Wagon »

Never mind, dumb question, figured it out.
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
okayfine
Supporter

Re: gas fumes

Post by okayfine »

Always helpful to post your solution in case someone comes along and searches for similar problems.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson