SR20 Radiator Suggestions

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
2DoorJim
Supporter

SR20 Radiator Suggestions

Post by 2DoorJim »

All, I'm transplanting the drivetrain from a SR20 510 race car into a street chassis and I'm curious if there is a tidy radiator solution to the one I currently have - Griffin "double pass" both inlet/outlet on right. The motor is SR20 and the front clearance is too tight for a cooling fan. Couple criteria I have:

I have Datsport crossmembers and I'd prefer to not modify them to move the engine/trans rearwards, which would also require altering the driveshaft, or may induce oil pan clearance issues.

I'm trying to not cut or modify the radiator opening in the rad panel, and I'd like to retain the flanged lip around the perimeter of the rad opening (minimal chassis mods). My Griffin rad has a core which is about 2" thick, but the tanks are about 3" thick. Also, the rad is of a size such that the tanks sit directly on top of the flanged lip of the rad panel. If my rad was a couple inches wider the tanks would sit outside the flange, and move the rad ahead.

Alternately, I'm wondering anyone has discovered a good retrofit aftermarket rad, or one from a modern car. I notice modern rads in Toyotas, VWs etc are very thin and have smaller tanks. I also suspect the rad from the JDM 240s are likely not as thick as my Griffin, but then I realize the rad panel opening size might become a limit and hinder cooling capacity.

Any suggestions for a tidy unit?

TIA
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Re: SR20 Radiator Suggestions

Post by PoorMtnKid »

I used the one from Mckinney Motor sports. Its not any thinner than you are describing what you are currently running. However MCkinney uses a Ron Davis core and puts the inlet/outlet in perfect position for the 510. He actually sells it specific for the 510 Sr Swap.

I did cut the lip you are talking about out a little just to get more air flow. One thing I will say for cooling purposes, if you are planning on tracking the car, change out the water pump pulley asap. I kept getting overheating issues while at the track. Sleepy here on the realm told me about the cavitation issues known with the stock pulley and it fixed my issues immediately.

Some have used some type of VW radiator, I think a VR6. Someone may have to chime in on that one though.
looking for pass. side arm rest
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

SR20DE, or SR20DET? Big difference in cooling needs.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Pusher fans from in front of the radiator?
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Thanks for the replies guys. The motor is turbo, will only see street use.

3" thick Intercooler in front of the rad, and I'd like the factory grill in place so there is no room for a pusher fan.

There was a fan in place on the donor car, but the fan was pressed tight against the core tubes and rubbing against the water pump pulley. I'll have a closer look at the VR6 core you mention PoorMtnKid, it looks like a thin core though the inlet\outlet are on the same side but I can deal with that.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

i ran the vr6 rad i didnt like it . if i where you i would just get the ron davis rad and save your self the trouble of having to swap it out later
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
retlaw808

Post by retlaw808 »

How is the Ron Davis radiator mounted? Do you need to make custom brackets for it or does it come with brackets to mount in the stock location?
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Except for thickness I like that the Ron Davis rad is vertical flow thereby have the tanks on the top/bottom and leaving room on the sides for intercooler plumbing. Contrary to my earlier thought that I'm trying to leave my rad panel stock, I'm forgetting that mods will be required for the ic plumbing.

Good question retlaw.
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Need to make custom brackets. These are what I came up with. No bolts hold it in. I put some rubber on the insides of the brackets and it sits in nice and tight.
Bottom
looking for pass. side arm rest
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

get the mckenny rad then order a cx racing inter cooler .

Bike papa
Supporter

Post by Bike papa »

PMK. That upper rad mount. Is Sweet!!!!
1971 Datsun 510 2 door
08 VW R32
69 BSA 650 Firebird Scrambler
Too Many Bicycles
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Reminds me of what I did on the Bronze many years back now....

I secured mine vertically so that i could reach the nuts on the other side. Ideally this should have had nutserts installed. A tool I've yet to acquire.

Simple and effective.

Byron
Attachments
DSCN8068_Large_[1].jpg
DSCN8068_Large_[1].jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 6077 times
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

dislexicdime wrote:i ran the vr6 rad i didnt like it . if i where you i would just get the ron davis rad and save your self the trouble of having to swap it out later

+1

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

Who's car is that icehouse

icehouse

Post by icehouse »

A buddy of me and Frank's. We did a SR swap redo, paint bay, new brake lines, new head liner rack and pinion ton's of work! The car turned out really nice. He hasn't dynoed it but it rips! Disco potato turbo with 550cc injectors and a power FC with the D-jetro kit.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam