SR20DET emissions (adding, not deleting)

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
jovial_cynic
Supporter

SR20DET emissions (adding, not deleting)

Post by jovial_cynic »

Just about every forum I've looked at regarding proper venting of gas fumes into the charcoal canister explain how to remove the canister, and included all sorts of incorrect ways to close off the lines going to the canister.

I'm actually interested in ADDING the emissions system back to my SR20. Weird, I know. But it gets hot here in California, and I prefer not having my garage fill with gas fumes.

As I understand it, there's the "old way" of plumbing the evap system: a charcoal canister that has a vacuum acuated purge valve that draws the fuel vapors that's in the canister.

The "new way" of doing it involves all kinds of signals from things like the O2 sensor and whatnot to control a solenoid that opens and closes the valve, and I think that the signal is pulled from the ECU.

The S13 SR20DET doesn't appear to have an ECU output for a purge solenoid, which makes me think that the mechanism is somewhere between the "old way" and the "new way," perhaps actuated by a simpler electric toggle method.

Can anyone confirm this? If there's no ECU-controlled solenoid, I may build my own system and call it good, but if there's something on the ECU that I'm missing, I'd like to know.

Thanks -
71 510 2-door SR20DET (S13)
------------------
http://www.myagentjosh.com
http://www.newprotest.org/510
Trophy24

Re: SR20DET emissions (adding, not deleting)

Post by Trophy24 »

I will start out by saying that I don't know the SR20 set up for sure. Having said that...
The purge control is either:
Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) operated by engine coolant temperature -what I consider old school-
or
VSV operated by ECU with a duty cycle signal

Since this engine set up is not what I consider crude by any means, I would assume it is controlled by the ECU. A wiring diagram should help you find the output to control the VSV.

Some may think a canister is not necessary, but I plan to do the same with my KA24DE swap. The canister is already on hand. :)
Trophy24

Post by Trophy24 »

I will start out by saying that I don't know the SR20 set up for sure. Having said that...
The purge control is either:
Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) operated by engine coolant temperature -what I consider old school-
or
VSV operated by ECU with a duty cycle signal

Since this engine set up is not what I consider crude by any means, I would assume it is controlled by the ECU. A wiring diagram should help you find the output to control the VSV.

Some may think a canister is not necessary, but I plan to do the same with my KA24DE swap. The canister is already on hand. :)
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Couldn't you just not start the car and let it idle in the garage? From my experience the SR when running properly doesn't stink anything like the L series or Z series or any of Nissan's non "hemi" head design. Before I went through all the trouble I would see how it does without it.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I don't have a evap on my SR and it gets pretty hot and humid here in New Hampshire. Ganted not as long as in months as Mid Cali and my garage doesn't get filled with gas fumes not at all. Unless your garage it tiny then ok maybe,,,,mine is 800 sq/ft 2 story with 10' ceiling.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

jovial_cynic wrote:The S13 SR20DET doesn't appear to have an ECU output for a purge solenoid, which makes me think that the mechanism is somewhere between the "old way" and the "new way," perhaps actuated by a simpler electric toggle method.
I initially figured you'd looked at the FSM for this info.
Pages from SR_ECU.jpg
Pages from SR_ECU.jpg (171.08 KiB) Viewed 4384 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson