Can am box

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
Redrumls

Can am box

Post by Redrumls »

I know this might have been repeated before. I have a 510 wagon with a ka24de swap that's been running fine until today. Took it down the block(luckily) and on the way back it started hesitating and died when I got in my driveway. I noticed the can am box wasn't lit all the way (red, green & yellow) only the yellow light on it & I didn't hear my fuel pump prime when I turned my key on. I had a burnt fuse on the can am box, replaced it but still the same situation.i checked the rest of the fuses, good.. switched the relays around. Same... idk if something is wrong with the box? Like I said, only the yellow light is on. Hope the box isn't fried.. has anyone had a similar issue like this? Any help would be appreciated..
Thanks, Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
72 Toyota corona mk2 mx22 2dr ht
72 Datsun 510 goon ka24de
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
510rob

Re: Can am box

Post by 510rob »

Good move checking the fuses. Also good move swapping around relays to see if the problem tracks those parts.

The yellow light tells me that the box is getting power from your primary power input and from your key, also that the box is grounded properly.

Which fuse was burned out?
  • FP FUSE?
  • ECCS FUSE?
  • RUN FUSE?
* The ignition key input to KEY PWR tells the Can/Am box to turn on the RUN relay and that then turns on the yellow LED and sends power to the ECCS via the terminals RUN1-RUN3

* The ECCS back-up power runs via the ECCS Fuse, but is always on through the ECCS fuse and coming out the ECU BUP terminal.

* The ECCS LSS terminal gets its signal from the ECCS box to turn on the ECCS relay and that will also light the green LED and send power to terminals ECCS1-ECCS3

* The FP LSS terminal gets its signal from the ECCS box to turn on the FP relay, and that will turn on the red LED and send power to the terminals FP1-FP4 (FP standing for Fuel Pump)

Logically, the ECCS has to get power from both the ECU BUP terminal AND the RUN relay outputs (Run1-Run3) in order to turn on the ECCS relay outputs (ECCS1-ECCS3) and then the ECCS also sends the signal to FP LSS to turn on the fuel pump (FP1-FP4) power.

If you don't hear your fuel pump, then it's not turning on. :P (I couldn't resist)

Also, this might seem like a stupid question, but is the battery fully charged? I spent 3 weeks helping someone troubleshoot their Can/Am install via e-mail only to find out the person was working with a dead battery. Don't take the small details for granted.

So, all of that said...

For the fuel pump to turn on, it needs the ECCS to turn it on. For the ECCS to turn on, it needs power from the Can/Am board. For the Can/Am board to turn on, it needs power from the ignition key...

Did the ECCS ECU recently get wet? Did you recently wash the car? Is there any other suspicious reason you can think of that has changed the conditions within which the whole setup is operating, which might have caused a knock-on effect further down the system?

Also, check that the terminal screws on the Can/Am board are sufficiently snug to maintain a decent electrical connection.
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

It was the fuse for the eccs. Battery is good, it didn't get wet. I was working on the piping for the mass air flow sensor & the wiring going to the mass flow plug fell down by the water pump pulley. The blk & white little wire got skinned when I test drove it & might of ground out. Idk if that would do anything..? The problem happened when I was coming back.. when the goon died I noticed the eccs light on because the fuse was burnt. Basically ran out of gas because it killed the fuel pump. I checked around today, I couldn't figure out the problem.. drove me nuts!
That's when I noticed the wire had sagged down by the pulley & got skinned.
Thanks, Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

What would keep the rest of the can am box from lighting up & working? I put a burnt fuse in the eccs spot & the red light comes on letting me know the fuse is out. I just can't figure out why the rest on the can am box is not powering up, only the run(yellow light) Was working fine... idk..
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yellow LED is turned on my the key, the other two are turned on by the ECU. By chance did it skin any other wires? Maybe the black with white didn't ground maybe it powered one of the other MAF wires? If so you could have damaged the ECU.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

It didn't skin any other wires.. how can I find out if the ecu was damaged?
Thanks, Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
16Again

Post by 16Again »

I had a MAF wiring melt on the exhaust of an RB20 car. It took out the ecu. Pulled the cover off the ecu and could see where it had fried the circuit . A careful dab of solder fixed my problem.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

you have to split the system in 1/2 and have a look at each side of that 1/2 split
  • proving the Can/Am box is one 1/2
  • proving the ECU is the other 1/2
You can prove that the Can/Am box is ok a lot easier than you can prove that the ECU is ok, so that's where I'd start. One hasty approach would be to plug in a known-good spare ECU, but if you blow it up because there is something else wrong, well, that would be counter-productive. That's up to you and I don't know how many spares you have or how much time you have. Trade-offs...

I would disconnect the Can/Am box. Label the wires as you disconnect them from the Can/Am box...

When you have the box disconnected, you can re-attach a few wires to it. By doing this, you will ensure that your connections and wiring are properly done, one by one.
  • Reconnect the ground wire.
  • Reconnect the main power wire.
  • Measure that you have +12V at the ECU BUP terminal.
  • Reconnect the KEY PWR wire.
  • Turn on the ignition key --->
    • you should hear the RUN relay turn on
    • you should see the yellow LED come on.
    • you should measure +12V at the RUN1-RUN3 terminals.
  • Take a small length/loop of wire and connect the ECCS LSS terminal to ground --->
    • you should hear the ECCS relay turn on
    • you should see the green LED come on
    • you should measure +12V at the ECCS1-ECCS3 terminals
  • Take a small length/loop of wire and connect the FP LSS terminal to ground --->
    • you should hear the FP relay turn on
    • you should see the red LED come on
    • you should measure +12V at the FP1-FP4 terminals
If you do this, then you will have essentially proven the Can/Am box as operating the way it ought to work and you can reconnect the rest of the wires to their appropriate terminals and continue with the task at hand (checking the other 1/2 of the system, the ECU)
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

I'm going to check into that 510rob.. I need to figure this out.. I miss driving my goon.
Thanks for all the responses, tracking it down little by little.
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

How do I trouble shoot or check the ecu? I'm going to dig into to this issue this weekend, hopefully I can locate the problem..
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

16Again wrote:I had a MAF wiring melt on the exhaust of an RB20 car. It took out the ecu. Pulled the cover off the ecu and could see where it had fried the circuit . A careful dab of solder fixed my problem.
I took the cover off the ecu & found the area where it burnt across the circuit. I'm going to dab some solder on it this Friday to try & repair it. I was stoked! Hopefully this is the problem. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the info.
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

Fixed it & it's up & running! Got power to all the relays. Seems to be running a little smoother too.. the only issue I'm having now is the goon won't shut off with the key? Something else I'll have to figure out now..
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

Power comes on to the can am box & relays.. goon starts up fine & runs good.. when I go to shut it off now, it doesn't cut the power to the can am box & turn off.?
How can I trouble shoot this?
Thanks, Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Do all three LED's stay on when you shut off the key?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

I think so... I have a batt. Disconnect, sometimes it'll shut the goon off, sometimes it won't.
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss