Can am box

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
510rob

Re: Can am box

Post by 510rob »

How exactly did you connect the KA24 alternator to the stock 510 wiring harness?
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

I'm not exactly sure.. I bought it as an unfinished project. That was already hooked up. I had to finish the fuel line, gas tank, clutch slave, sway bar.. etc.. I can check..
it was running fine & shutting off fine until the circuit burnt...
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
72 Toyota corona mk2 mx22 2dr ht
72 Datsun 510 goon ka24de
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

Would a bad relay do that? Or do I have another issue..
I happy I'm rolling in it again but I have to figure this out..
Thanks for all the info & input.. i need it all! I'm like a sponge absorbing all this info.
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
510rob

Post by 510rob »

If it was already hooked up, then it must be 127% perfect, right? :P

The alternator takes a power signal from the battery through the key to the dash light over to the alternator's L terminal, as a power input to supply energy to the alternator's internal regulator circuit, at least until the alternator can bootstrap itself and self-power the regulator. When it does finally bootstrap, the dash light turns out.

[side note]
when the dash light supplies the power to run the regulator, there is a slight voltage drop across the bulb, which is enough to dimly light the bulb's filament. Once the alternator is working, that L-terminal will be at or around 12-14V, so the voltage drop through the dash light is negligible (12-14V on both sides of the bulb means no current flow means no lighty lighterson). If the alternator fails to maintain the bootstrap energy, then the light comes on and tells you 'the alternator has some kinda big problems'
[/side note]

If you switch off the key and the engine keeps running, then the alternator is probably pushing a slight bit of current back to the key via the L terminal on the alternator.

The solution to this is to put a diode in series with the L-terminal, with the banded end towards the alternator.

This solution might help your 'run on' situation.
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

Cool.. thanks 510rob.. I'll definitely check into that.. I wonder why it wasn't doing it before? I've been driving the goon for almost a year. As soon as the ecu was fixed, now I have this issue..? I had to something similar to my camaro when I swapped in the ls2. That was to keep the alternator from constantly running @ 14v and burning up.
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
16Again

Post by 16Again »

Redrumls wrote:Fixed it & it's up & running! Got power to all the relays. Seems to be running a little smoother too.. the only issue I'm having now is the goon won't shut off with the key? Something else I'll have to figure out now..
Greg
Glad to hear you got it running.
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

16Again wrote:
Redrumls wrote:Fixed it & it's up & running! Got power to all the relays. Seems to be running a little smoother too.. the only issue I'm having now is the goon won't shut off with the key? Something else I'll have to figure out now..
Greg
Glad to hear you got it running.
Thanks bro.. after your response, I checked the ecu and bam! There it was as you stated with yours. A burnt circuit. The only issue I'm having now is the motor will not shut off with the key or when I turn off my power shutoff switch.? I'm still trying to figure it out..
Any idea anyone or has anyone had that issue?
Thanks, Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
16Again

Post by 16Again »

That is frustrating for sure. Relay sticking? If you pull the relay does it keep running?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Unplug your alternator and see if the key will do the trick.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Holy shit. I totally didn't think of that. That is a profoundly simple and efficient idea. I owe you a Pepsi.
Redrumls

Post by Redrumls »

I'll try that tomorrow morning.. I need to narrow this problem down. I've been unplugging the plug that goes to the coil to turn it off.(miss turning it off with the key)
Greg
73 mazda rx3 goon
64 nova ss
65 chevelle conv.
68 camaro ss
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

510rob wrote:Holy shit. I totally didn't think of that. That is a profoundly simple and efficient idea. I owe you a Pepsi.

I see what you did there..... :)
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

icehouse wrote:
510rob wrote:Holy shit. I totally didn't think of that. That is a profoundly simple and efficient idea. I owe you a Pepsi.

I see what you did there..... :)
I just about fell off my chair laughing last night when I read that - good shot Rob!

Meanwhile 2/3rds of the Realm is wondering - "what the hell are they on about..."

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes, that was funny!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510rob

Post by 510rob »