Q35DE

Problems, ideas and comments specific to engine swaps.
vetteguy22

Q35DE

Post by vetteguy22 »

Anyone using a Q35DE in their 510
Canadian510

Re: Q35DE

Post by Canadian510 »

vetteguy22 wrote:Anyone using a Q35DE in their 510
If you're referring to the VQ35de out of the 350z, q35, maxima etc (not being an ass just not sure if thats what you mean) there are some people who have done it but the modifications are very extensive and it's my personal belief that it's not worth it unless you have the tools and prior skills to tackle something like that.

You're talking about cutting into shock towers and generally a lot of fabrication that VQ is a WIDE engine, not to mention the hassle of flashing out VATS.
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

Here's the one I know of. https://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/23/eba ... the-perfe/

His handle on here was xlr8r. Here's the for sale thread on the car. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10943

As mentioned, it's a lot of work. Big things that come to my mind are:
-Disabling VATS
-Chopping the car up to fit the monster trans that it comes with
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

My comment is the throttle " hang" also. Even with a SPRINT BOOSTER controller on mine, it still does goofy things, which from a true driver standpoint just sucks. I still stall this car at times leaving a stop on a slight grade! Maybe it can be made to work without all the electrics...but...
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
DADZSUN
Supporter

VQ30DE research info

Post by DADZSUN »

I've actually put quite a bit of thought/research into a VQ30 swap. It's feasible, but certainly not a simple task.

Pros:
  • Same weight as the KA24D/E
  • 95-98 Maxima VQ30DE (not the 35) puts out a stock ~200hp/Tq stock, but can be fairly easily pushed to 220-230hp with lower & upper intake manifold swap (required for RWD setup). That's about the same power as a stock SR20DET swap but with more Tq, equal or less weight etc...
  • Apparently it's a super smooth engine. Tonnes of cheap replacement parts. Instant NA power
Cons:
  • Rack & Pinion swap likely required to make room for driver's side header
  • Engine cross member would have to be swapped for front sump
  • Z33 transmission, specifically the rear, is HUGE and long. The length can be trimmed with a shifter kit (many to chose from), 510 rear tunnel would need to be widened (biggest issue IMO).
How I would do it:
  • Grab JDM RWD VQ30de engine - no need to screw around with intake or oil pan.
  • Pull wiring and ECU from 95-98 Maxima. This is pre NATS setup which will simplify installation greatly
  • Run Maxima flywheel (required for timing sensor)
  • Modify KA transmission to fit VQ block. Apparently it will clear the Maxima flywheel/clutch but that's the only good news. Bad news is that not only does the bellhousing not bolt up to the VQ block, but the starter location is not in the same place. Would need to cut/weld several inches of the Z33 (auto?) bellhousing onto the KA bellhousing.
Running a modified KA tranny has several advantages:
  • IMO 5 speed with VQ Tq would make a better drive than 6 speed, especially in such a light car.
  • Cost of Z33 shortened shifter & tunnel hacking, and savings from sourcing a MUCH cheaper KA/SR tranny could be redirected towards bellhousing modifications.
  • It's a lighter transmission which can still handle the VQ30 power since the SR20DET puts out similar OEM Tq.
I never really entertained VQ35 because of the hassle/cost of NATS (which can be bypassed with a $1K USD wiring harness mod service), and frankly I don't want a 280-300hp 510. 220hp/Tq is plenty for me to get into trouble with, hell my 160hp KA is pretty damn fun as well.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

So it weights the same as a SR? I'm going to have to borrow a scale from work and check that out. I have a 06 Z engine and a 01 S15 SR sitting in my garage. Might as well measure the KA also since I have one of those on the floor too. Yes my garage is a junk pile right now!!

I was amazed at how well it fit into the 510 engine bay and how well it cleared our rack and pinion crossmember. Here is a photo just for visual aid. At the time I didn't have a transmission. I also have a ECU that's had the NAT's removed. I got the deal from a drifter buddy. Who swapped to an LS2, I asked him if the LS felt faster since the VQ has lots of torque for a 3.5L with the adjustable cam timing and the LS doesn't. He actually said he couldn't honestly tell the difference and he spent over 10k having a shop build and install the LS.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Yes, if you can please weigh all 3 and what accessories were included. SR turbo stuff (~25-30lbs?) will likely put it on par with the other two.

If possible can you take a pic of the ka tranny butted up to the vq block and note the obvious issues?
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
vetteguy22

Post by vetteguy22 »

I am building the car for my wife and due to health issues I will need to go with an auto trani. I’m not concerned with having to modify the tunnel. I can do that. I had considered going with an LS2 but decided I didn’t want to have to cut into the firewall if I didn’t have to. It would fit width wise but pretty sure it’s long enough I’d have to lengthen the engine bay to accommodate it.
What rack and pinion set up are you using?
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Made a thread for the weight!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=30231

SR20DET = 372

VQ35HR = 411

40lbs difference. Less then I thought. Still a bit though.

For the rack setup me and my good buddy Sam spent a couple years of our free time developing it. I'm not saying by any means we are done. Got a sack of new ideas for it in the garage. It can be found here. We got some data too if you are interested.

http://www.jbcoachwerks.com
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam