Alternative Modern Wiper Motor Conversions

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
Tedman

Re: Alternative Modern Wiper Motor Conversions

Post by Tedman »

An update on my Integra wiper motor conversion-

1. Make sure you put the 510 drive arm on the Integra motor drive shaft in the correct orientation! It can go on one of two ways. If 180 degrees off, the motor will jam your wiper blades into the cowl when you first turn on the wipers and you'll have cowl damage! Make sure your wiper linkage is at or near the park position, and install the arm so it meets the linkage with minimal adjustment of the linkage. Or look back at pics in my previous post and install opposite. Mine was installed 180 off, and I learned the hard way.

2. The park position is several inches higher on the windshield than I expected. If the blades are installed so they don't swipe off the bottom of the glass, the park position is too high. At park, this is as low as I could set my wiper blades to keep them from running off the bottom of the glass when operating:
In the above pic you can also see cowl damage near the driver's side wiper arm fixing nut that was caused by incorrectly installing the drive arm.

Anyway, has anybody else had a similar experience with regard to the park position and/or know if there's a way to reduce the angle between the park and full sweep positions? I can probably live with having the wipers that high on the windshield while driving, but it is still somewhat annoying.
510tdi

Post by 510tdi »

Thanks for the update Tedman! I'm going to pick up my Integra motor in moments. I have a 626 motor I bought over a year ago and was going to follow the old instructions that Kelvin developed years ago on The Dime Quarterly however, the link doesn't work any more and I can't find it anywhere. This Integra swap was well timed.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

510tdi wrote:Thanks for the update Tedman! I'm going to pick up my Integra motor in moments. I have a 626 motor I bought over a year ago and was going to follow the old instructions that Kelvin developed years ago on The Dime Quarterly however, the link doesn't work any more and I can't find it anywhere. This Integra swap was well timed.

Here's the link it works

http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/2011/ ... motor.html
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
harryagain
Supporter

Post by harryagain »

Tedman wrote: 06 Apr 2018 21:18 An update on my Integra wiper motor conversion-

1. Make sure you put the 510 drive arm on the Integra motor drive shaft in the correct orientation! It can go on one of two ways. If 180 degrees off, the motor will jam your wiper blades into the cowl when you first turn on the wipers and you'll have cowl damage! Make sure your wiper linkage is at or near the park position, and install the arm so it meets the linkage with minimal adjustment of the linkage. Or look back at pics in my previous post and install opposite. Mine was installed 180 off, and I learned the hard way.

2. The park position is several inches higher on the windshield than I expected. If the blades are installed so they don't swipe off the bottom of the glass, the park position is too high. At park, this is as low as I could set my wiper blades to keep them from running off the bottom of the glass when operating:
In the above pic you can also see cowl damage near the driver's side wiper arm fixing nut that was caused by incorrectly installing the drive arm.

Anyway, has anybody else had a similar experience with regard to the park position and/or know if there's a way to reduce the angle between the park and full sweep positions? I can probably live with having the wipers that high on the windshield while driving, but it is still somewhat annoying.
I had the same issues. With some luck I caught the wiper before doing any damage to my freshly painted car. Rotated the arm 180 and it fixed that issue. I also have the wiper arms stopping high on the screen. One additional issue is that the motor wants to move further down prior to heading up the screen when pulling the switch for the first time. I noted that this didn’t occur on the YouTube video. I’m wondering if the missing link is changing the wiper switch to a later model threee stage switch? Any suggestions?
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563
harryagain
Supporter

Post by harryagain »

My next question, which Datsun comes out with a threee stage switch that will fit the original position in the dash?
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563
spriso

Post by spriso »

The three position switch is found in the later Datsun 620 pickups.

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
batman

Post by batman »

Hi Everyone,

I though i would post up a pick of what i did with the Mazda wiper motor conversion, we have found that i had to make a new bracket effectively changing the park position angle as this is not adjustable. I have attached a pic of the original wiper motor bracket and the newer one i made up and its new position. I don't have the details at work with me today but will post up the details/dimensions on the amount of change needed in degrees to make it park in the right position.

Mine now parks in the right position and the motor works quite well very happy with the upgrade and many thanks to everyone on the board for their wiring diagram and details on the install method.

Thanks Mark
Attachments
p3.jpg
p3.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
batman

Post by batman »

Park position picture

Thanks Mark
Attachments
p2.jpg
p2.jpg (45.58 KiB) Viewed 5241 times
batman

Post by batman »

I measured and calculated the angle of 27 degrees needed to bring the wipers back into the right position.

Mark
vetteguy22

Post by vetteguy22 »

Anyone try a wiper motor from a 280zx? I have one and it will bolt up to the 510 triangle plate with one small relief cut in it. The wiper arm looks like it’s clocked a bit different but not sure if the zx motor is in park position. I need to power it up and verify were park is.
Is there any way to reclock the arm other than making a new arm?
Rob
paul97

Post by paul97 »

Will making a new bracket also work using the Acura type motor so that they park in the correct position?
Stu
Supporter

Post by Stu »

I modified the Integra arm to use the 510 post and turned 180deg. The park position is pretty darn close.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32564&p=287802#p287802

If you want to refine the park position with either the 510 arm or the Integra arm with post transferred:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32564&start=165#p288127
Stu

1972 4-door 510
2004 Volvo V70R 6spd manual
Factory Five Racing Cobra
1991 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab
2005 Mini Cooper S - death via forklift :(
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Thank you Stu for all the help on the wiper motor mod.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
cartel

Post by cartel »

yes nice info-- only issue where i am here is wreckers are almost extinct--

got a new replacement motor (rockauto) and put the 510 arm on-- if its 30 degrees off i may just cut the 510 arm and bend it and weld a pie piece in-- .. next week will be mockup-- on wipers to see where they sit .. as i do want them close to the rubber.. frickin upgrades! the wipers need to work but i never intend to drive it in the rain..
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

only issue where i am here is wreckers are almost extinct-

I see the old Ralph’s/Empire in Abbotsford is still a u-pull yard. Haven’t been there in years