Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
User avatar
bertvorgon
Supporter
Posts: 10267
Joined: 04 Aug 2003 20:45
Location: White Rock, B.C. Canada

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by bertvorgon » 14 Jul 2018 08:37

I did check on our last group buy on the Pilkington's, it was 355.00 CDN all in.

Today my currency guy is at 1.3265USD, so that translates to 454.00 CDN and it would be more from the credit card companies.

If there was enough interest here again, I could check with the fellow we dealt with before.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

User avatar
WxMan
Supporter
Posts: 157
Joined: 22 Feb 2013 08:38
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by WxMan » 14 Jul 2018 10:24

I would be interested.
Russell

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1156
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by Three B's Racing » 17 Jul 2018 05:11

qwik510 wrote:
13 Jul 2018 12:57
qwik510 wrote:
10 Jul 2018 05:07
I just ordered one. They charged $50 for shipping.

Total was $252.99

Price of the glass must have gone up. It is now listed at $202.99

I will post again once it arrives.
The windshield arrived today. Ordered on 7/10 and arrives 7/13. Pretty fast via UPS Freight. Came home and it was on my porch.

I opened the box. Windshield
looks good. Decided to measure the thickness. 6.5mm

Measured the Chinese one I have too. 6mm

Not much difference.

Get them while you can. At $250 shipped, it's a bargain.
I ordered mine 7/11 and yet to see it. So the difference between the Chinese glass and the pilkington is only .018" crap I sure hope the glass is better tempered than the chinese glass.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 11961
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by Byron510 » 17 Jul 2018 06:25

qwik510 wrote:
13 Jul 2018 12:57
qwik510 wrote:
10 Jul 2018 05:07
I just ordered one. They charged $50 for shipping.

Total was $252.99

Price of the glass must have gone up. It is now listed at $202.99

I will post again once it arrives.
The windshield arrived today. Ordered on 7/10 and arrives 7/13. Pretty fast via UPS Freight. Came home and it was on my porch.

I opened the box. Windshield
looks good. Decided to measure the thickness. 6.5mm

Measured the Chinese one I have too. 6mm

Not much difference.

Get them while you can. At $250 shipped, it's a bargain.
There must be a bit of variation in the glass thickness even from Pilkington. I measured my Pilkington glad at 5.94mm and the stock at 6.35 ;

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=150

But the Chinese glass we got on our first group buy was significantly thinner. Keith, when we did your car - did we measure the actual thickness? I seem to recall that Chinese glass being nearly 1mm thinner than the OEM glass we removed. So there is obviously more than one Chinese supplier. Did anyone document the actual Chinese manufacturers so that they are not all painted with one brush?

David, you mentioned your Chinese glass at 6mm, that’s thicker than the Pilkington glass I received. Is there a manufacturers name on that one? It’d be good to properly document this.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

User avatar
bertvorgon
Supporter
Posts: 10267
Joined: 04 Aug 2003 20:45
Location: White Rock, B.C. Canada

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by bertvorgon » 17 Jul 2018 07:42

It is nice to have all my information in one place now....my log book says
my STOCK, 1973 windshield was 7mm thick.

I will stop in to my old work place and measure the Pilkington that we got on the last group buy. I'm very sure the Chinese windshield was thinner.

It was in 2008 that we put the Chinese windshield in and in that 8 years of summer drives, it has become peppered with those very small chips. I never did feel that the tempering was as good as the originals, in looking at how it suffered so quickly in the first 2 years on the road. And one must realize that that was really hardly any driving at all and SUMMER only too. I would hate to see what the Chinese one would have been like going through real winters.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

User avatar
bertvorgon
Supporter
Posts: 10267
Joined: 04 Aug 2003 20:45
Location: White Rock, B.C. Canada

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by bertvorgon » 18 Jul 2018 14:48

I took my vernier caliper today and stopped in at work.

My 1973 factory screen measured 6.8MM

Pilkington Spare # 1 was 5.8 mm
Pilkington Spare # 2 was 6.2 mm

All were measured in the top middle.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1156
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by Three B's Racing » 20 Jul 2018 05:45

bertvorgon wrote:
18 Jul 2018 14:48
I took my vernier caliper today and stopped in at work.

My 1973 factory screen measured 6.8MM

Pilkington Spare # 1 was 5.8 mm
Pilkington Spare # 2 was 6.2 mm

All were measured in the top middle.
My windshield came in yesterday so I measured it's thickness with my metric vernier caliper and 6.5mm or .255" thick and my chinese glass was 5.8mm or .228" for us Americans who still enjoy the standard system :shock: That's a difference of .027" or .68mm for our brothers and sisters up in the frozen North. When you think about it 27 thou really isn't a lot until you look down upon each piece of glass side by side and you go wow!!! Anyway question? wasn't this glass supposed to be tinted? and where they talking about the whole piece or the top 4"-5" or 101.6mm - 127mm? DOH!! Oh and, the safety film between the glass will need to be trimmed because it's pretty much oozed out quite a bit anyone else?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1156
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by Three B's Racing » 20 Jul 2018 09:11

For those who purchased and recieved one of these windshields, did the tint come on it and is it the whole windshield or just a strip across the top? Because mine has neather.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 11961
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by Byron510 » 20 Jul 2018 13:07

I didn't order recently, but my Pilkington glass from a few years ago was a no-tint version.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

qwik510
Supporter
Posts: 3174
Joined: 29 Oct 2006 18:51
Location: Maryland - East Coast USA

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by qwik510 » 22 Jul 2018 05:13

Three B's Racing wrote:
20 Jul 2018 05:45
bertvorgon wrote:
18 Jul 2018 14:48
I took my vernier caliper today and stopped in at work.

My 1973 factory screen measured 6.8MM

Pilkington Spare # 1 was 5.8 mm
Pilkington Spare # 2 was 6.2 mm

All were measured in the top middle.
My windshield came in yesterday so I measured it's thickness with my metric vernier caliper and 6.5mm or .255" thick and my chinese glass was 5.8mm or .228" for us Americans who still enjoy the standard system :shock: That's a difference of .027" or .68mm for our brothers and sisters up in the frozen North. When you think about it 27 thou really isn't a lot until you look down upon each piece of glass side by side and you go wow!!! Anyway question? wasn't this glass supposed to be tinted? and where they talking about the whole piece or the top 4"-5" or 101.6mm - 127mm? DOH!! Oh and, the safety film between the glass will need to be trimmed because it's pretty much oozed out quite a bit anyone else?

I don't have a fancy caliper to measure so I will defer to yo guys on the exact thickness but I used the one my Grandfather had and say 6.5mm is pretty close.

My new windshield has a full tint of blue. Not just the top but the entire glass. I agree about trimming the center film.

I'm just glad to have another spare and several sources now.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage

HKS
Posts: 14
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 22:30
Location: LA

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by HKS » 22 Jul 2018 21:53

If anyone decides on purchasing a Pilkington windshield or any brand thats delivered UPS Freight make sure and have the shipper wait for you to check the glass. Luckily I had him stand next to me when I opened the box and found the glass shattered on the corner from them dropping the box on its corner from rough handling. I refused the package and he took it back. I messaged Summit that night via (24hr customer service) and they are sending a replacement shortly. Just hope it doesn't come in the same condition.

qwik510
Supporter
Posts: 3174
Joined: 29 Oct 2006 18:51
Location: Maryland - East Coast USA

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by qwik510 » 23 Jul 2018 04:15

HKS wrote:
22 Jul 2018 21:53
If anyone decides on purchasing a Pilkington windshield or any brand thats delivered UPS Freight make sure and have the shipper wait for you to check the glass. Luckily I had him stand next to me when I opened the box and found the glass shattered on the corner from them dropping the box on its corner from rough handling. I refused the package and he took it back. I messaged Summit that night via (24hr customer service) and they are sending a replacement shortly. Just hope it doesn't come in the same condition.

They left mine on my front porch. Huge box. I was surprised by the packing inside. Very little in the way of Cushioning. Mostly just a couple of cardboard braces to keep it in the center of the box. Mine arrived intact but I bet they get lots of returns for broken ones.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage

User avatar
Byron510
Moderator
Posts: 11961
Joined: 01 Jul 2003 23:06
Location: Maple Ridge, BC

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by Byron510 » 23 Jul 2018 15:36

Hmmm, so much for having it sent to my US mail box - no chance on checking it!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

HKS
Posts: 14
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 22:30
Location: LA

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by HKS » 26 Jul 2018 21:47

[/quote]

My windshield came in yesterday so I measured it's thickness with my metric vernier caliper and 6.5mm or .255" thick and my chinese glass was 5.8mm or .228" for us Americans who still enjoy the standard system :shock: That's a difference of .027" or .68mm for our brothers and sisters up in the frozen North. When you think about it 27 thou really isn't a lot until you look down upon each piece of glass side by side and you go wow!!! Anyway question? wasn't this glass supposed to be tinted? and where they talking about the whole piece or the top 4"-5" or 101.6mm - 127mm? DOH!! Oh and, the safety film between the glass will need to be trimmed because it's pretty much oozed out quite a bit anyone else?
[/quote]

When I opened the box I also noticed the safety glass material oozing out all around the windshield. At first I thought it was some type of rubber seal but after reading your post it was definitely excess material. So much for quality control!

Three B's Racing
Supporter
Posts: 1156
Joined: 03 Mar 2009 11:58
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Pilkington Windshields - Easy and new Availability

Post by Three B's Racing » 27 Jul 2018 04:55

HKS wrote:
26 Jul 2018 21:47
My windshield came in yesterday so I measured it's thickness with my metric vernier caliper and 6.5mm or .255" thick and my chinese glass was 5.8mm or .228" for us Americans who still enjoy the standard system :shock: That's a difference of .027" or .68mm for our brothers and sisters up in the frozen North. When you think about it 27 thou really isn't a lot until you look down upon each piece of glass side by side and you go wow!!! Anyway question? wasn't this glass supposed to be tinted? and where they talking about the whole piece or the top 4"-5" or 101.6mm - 127mm? DOH!! Oh and, the safety film between the glass will need to be trimmed because it's pretty much oozed out quite a bit anyone else?
[/quote]

When I opened the box I also noticed the safety glass material oozing out all around the windshield. At first I thought it was some type of rubber seal but after reading your post it was definitely excess material. So much for quality control!
[/quote]

So true!! but a beer and box cutter will trim it up nicely.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

Post Reply