Engine harness help

Paint, body preparation and modification, interior work and electrical
MikeY

Engine harness help

Post by MikeY » 23 Mar 2020 13:40

I guess it never hurts to ask. And wiring is not my strong suit. I'm reinstalling what I think is the stock engine harness in a early 71. All the plugs at the firewall line up. It was an column shift auto. Will be a zx 5 speed. I'd like to clean the harness up. The duel point system and relay I think I have sorted. As well it will get an electronic distributor. So that's not the issue. At least not now. I have a fsm and a Haynes manual. But no diagrams show this harness. Here are some pictures. One shows the connection for the wiper motor. And speed sensor or maybe it's the firewall throttle position switch. No problems there. But the pigtail id like to think was the tranny reverse wires is a plug. Don't think this is a choke switch wire. And then on the pass strut tower sometimes there is the choke relay. The e picture shows the connection for the regulator. And 2 relays. What are they for. I expect I will just have to install the harness and get it powered up and engine running first. Then unplug what I can and see what happens. Not sure about reverse lights. The colors are not matching up. Any experience appreciated. As well if someone has a manual harness for sale in good shape. We might consider it. For me the holy grail is a late 69 manual harness. The simplest of all
Thanks.
Attachments
wire1.jpg
wire1.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 764 times
wire2.jpg
wire2.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 764 times
wire3.jpg
wire3.jpg (63.89 KiB) Viewed 764 times
wire4.jpg
wire4.jpg (92.11 KiB) Viewed 764 times
wire5.jpg
wire5.jpg (79.7 KiB) Viewed 764 times

MikeY

Re: Engine harness help

Post by MikeY » 23 Mar 2020 13:46

As I reread this I realized this car had a manual choke. I painted the bracket last week. So I'm assuming most of this is the interrupt system so it only starts in neutral and park. There stil must be a was to delete these relays and get reverse lights.

510rob

Post by 510rob » 23 Mar 2020 16:17

510rob

Post by 510rob » 23 Mar 2020 16:21

probably has something to do with these devices...
Attachments
510 auto relay stuff.jpg
510 auto relay stuff.jpg (279.84 KiB) Viewed 752 times

MikeY

Post by MikeY » 23 Mar 2020 17:04

Thanks, that diagram is exactly what I was looking for. I should be able to keep reverse lights.

510rob

Post by 510rob » 23 Mar 2020 20:35

Yee Haw!

Post pics when you get it all cleaned up.

One handy wiring tip. Use paint pens to add color stripes to plain wire. Art supply stores have all of the paint pen colors that Princess Auto can't get.

yenpit

Post by yenpit » 28 Mar 2020 13:25

Is the harness original to the car? If the car was unmolested, it likely is. If the car was modified & messed with, might not be. All three harness sections had white plastic part # tags. The dash harness tag usually survived, so you can verify by part #. If the engine compartment harness plugs in AND wire color codes match, you should have a matched set! Search me (yenpit) on Ratsun.net...........some years ago, I wrote up how to bypass the auto neutral safety.....easy! I also wrote up how to re-wire the reverse lights, cuz the auto ran the reverse thru that neutral safety switch. This was a l'il more complicated, as I recall having to wire it THRU a metal OEM relay up on the passenger side inner fender well, located near the voltage regulator.

FYI the harnesses differed Sedan vs Wagon & auto vs manual & can NOT mix! Basically the harnesses were 68, 69, early 70 (ask me how I figured this mess out!), late 70-72 & 73. They do NOT mix & match well, except the late 70-72 as they added & deleted emission stuff, but don't think anything affected running & driving........were just redundant wires!

Do you have the hand drawn wiring diagram from Paolo?? If not BUY ONE!! They are printed in color & are laminated...........killer kool! None of the Haynes, Chilton's, Clymer's etc diagrams were complete and/or correct for the USA spec cars! Paolo is at paolo@cedarcomm.com.

TJ
Denver CO
72 521 flat bed pick up
1965 Mustang GT Coupe

LOTS of 510 parts!

yenpit

Post by yenpit » 28 Mar 2020 13:28

Yes, your first pic at the top! I see that is the sub harness for the voltage regulator, then the other two metal relays. I think you need to retain those & wire from one of them........I think the red/red black wired one (??)........wire down to the reverse switch . Sorry, been a while!
72 521 flat bed pick up
1965 Mustang GT Coupe

LOTS of 510 parts!

MikeY

Post by MikeY » 28 Mar 2020 15:32

Thanks for all the input. This is a matching harness. So that helps. I've learned to read the part numbers and the parts catologe helps identify the model and years.
Also I make sure not only do the plugs match up but wire colors are the same. That was a.lesson.
I found another similar harness and found what I assume was a bypass fix to get it running. But I'm still on my own to get reverse lights. I do see the correct colors on one of the pass side tower relays. I assume thats a place to start. This harness.will get installed as is and running before any tidying up.